Skip over navigation

Fiction Writing Challenge: Denver UFO

By Allison EmmMay 24, 2012
Greetings Masterminds! There are billions of quality stories out there, just waiting to be written. There are news clips that scream Biopunk, neo-folktales that need twist endings, and social systems that beg for satire. Would you let these stories go untold? I give you your first... More  →
Fiction Writing Challenge: Denver UFO

What You'll Miss When You Move Out

By SissyMay 24, 2012
It's exciting to turn 18 and move out of your parents' house and into a dorm or an apartment. But just because it's exciting doesn’t mean it's easy. After you unpack your bags at school, you realize there are actually things you'll miss about home—even... More  →
What You'll Miss When You Move Out

5 Craziest Government Conspiracies From the Movies

By Robert IsenbergMay 24, 2012
At long last, Men in Black 3 is coming to theaters. We will learn why Will Smith has to go back in time. We will see the mashup of Men in Black technology with Madmen aesthetics. And we will recoil at the uncanny resemblance of... More  →
5 Craziest Government Conspiracies From the Movies

The Scorpio Races

By ContributorMay 24, 2012
Let’s blog a must-read agaaaaaiiiinnnn! Book: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Synopsis: On Thisby Island, the annual Scorpio Races, in which men race deadly water horses (like regular horses but bigger and carnivorous) along the beach for fame, glory, and money, are everything. They... More  →
The Scorpio Races

It's Time to Get "Call Me Maybe" Out of Your System

By Jennifer GrudzieckiMay 24, 2012
Yesterday we showed you fun.'s cover of "Call Me Maybe." Whether or not you think the song is awful, you can't deny that there are about a million covers of the song that are downright addictive to watch. And that's why we've compiled... More  →
It's Time to Get "Call Me Maybe" Out of Your System

Current Events: Elections, Facebook, and the War on Women

By ContributorMay 24, 2012

Hello, my dear Sparklers! Lots to talk about today. But first, I’d like to address some comments about the bias in my previous columns. Um, note I said “column.” That means that I can put my opinions in if I want. And I

... More  →
Current Events: Elections, Facebook, and the War on Women

Your Fill-in-the-Blank Graduation Speech

By Janet ManleyMay 24, 2012
Fill in a word for each of the below, then soak up the commencement wisdom of your graduation speech! 1. Inanimate object 2. Inanimate object 3. Olympic event 4. Appetizer 5. Main course 6. Noun 7. Adjective 8. Adjective 9. Noun 10. Noun 11. Verb 12. Noun 13. Adjective 14. Noun 15. Something terrible 16. Number 17. Piece of equipment 18. Adverb 19. Verb 20. Animal 21.... More  →
Your Fill-in-the-Blank Graduation Speech

This Is What Happens When You Put Cupcake Batter in a Sausage

By Brandon SpecktorMay 24, 2012
If you're anything like us—and we know you are (our spies are everywhere)—the last time you sunk your chompers into the pillowy crust of a red velvet cupcake the first thing that barrel-rolled into your braingoo was, "This is ok, but I just know my... More  →
This Is What Happens When You Put Cupcake Batter in a Sausage

BOOK REVIEW: Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

By Paul KirschMay 24, 2012
I originally picked up Leviathan for a base and shallow reason: it has an amazing map. You can tell a lot about a science fiction/fantasy book by its map. The map is an artifact of the world into which you're about to submerge, and... More  →
BOOK REVIEW: Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Why Baz Luhrmann's Gatsby Will Be AWESOME

By Josh PeriloMay 24, 2012
I remember the first time I saw Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo and Juliet (or Romeo + Juliet as it was billed). I hated it. Actually, I think that’s understating my reaction. I loathed it. I was studying acting at the time, and I thought I knew... More  →
Why Baz Luhrmann's Gatsby Will Be AWESOME