Search Menu
Menu

Auntie SparkNotes: I Want To Be Friends With This Awful Person

By kat_rosenfieldMarch 13, 2013
Dear Auntie, I am a sophomore in high school. Last year, one of my good friends had a boyfriend that flirted with me. I, being an innocent and naive freshman, ignored his approaches. Over the summer, she broke up with him, and at the beginning of my... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: I Want To Be Friends With This Awful Person

Dan's 22 Storytelling Tips

By Dan_BergsteinMarch 13, 2013
Pixar’s storyboard artist Emma Coats wrote 22 awesome storytelling tips for writers, and since Tweeting the list, it’s gone viral. The advice is great, with wonderful nuggets such as: "Tip #19: Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of... More  →
Dan's 22 Storytelling Tips

Ask Jono: Facebook Flirting?

By Jon_SkindzierMarch 13, 2013
Hi Jono! I absolutely adore your column, and I'm super hoping you will answer my question. Mostly because I really need an answer from a real actual guy, but also partly because I really would love to see this conundrum turned into... More  →
Ask Jono: Facebook Flirting?

Should You Go to Prom? This Magical Flowchart Has Your Answer.

By Laura EtheredgeMarch 13, 2013
What happens to people who get cut from the intramural archery team? Have you worn those jeans just one time too many this week without a wash? Does the cafeteria lady really mean business when she says "NO MORE COOKIES FOR YOU, MISTER! AND I... More  →
Should You Go to Prom? This Magical Flowchart Has Your Answer.

How Not to Massage

By Janet ManleyMarch 13, 2013
There are a lot of things that make great massage tools: knuckles, wooden rollers, hair brushes, rocks, carrots. But there are more things that don’t make great massage tools, including: Eggs Computer mouse A lampshade An iron License plates A boulder A pillow Bicycle Scissors The simple act of drawing on your S.O.’s back can... More  →
How Not to Massage

Open Thread for March 13

By SparkLifeMarch 13, 2013
Did you know that today is National Open an Umbrella Indoors Day? Well, consider yourself educated. Now go open your umbrellas like this adorable chipmunk! Send your pictures to contribute@sparknotes.com! ... More  →
Open Thread for March 13

To Take or Not Take Your Future Husband's Last Name? That Is the Question!

By SissyMarch 12, 2013
In honor of Women's History Month, let's talk about this thought-provoking argument for why women shouldn’t change their names when they marry. Journalist Jill Filipovic has some valid points—we don’t think women should be property, either, unless of course we're talking about female lamps—but we... More  →
To Take or Not Take Your Future Husband's Last Name? That Is the Question!

Learn From my Mistakes: Internship Edition

By Josh SorokachMarch 12, 2013
In this new series, the rakishly awkward Josh tells you how to succeed by doing the exact opposite of everything he has ever done. ENJOY. My sophomore year of college, I applied to an estimated one gazillion internships and received zero offers. "Cool," I thought.... More  →
Learn From my Mistakes: Internship Edition

Guess What Someone Found in a Nashville Dumpster (Hint: Related to Taylor Swift)

By Lauren PassellMarch 12, 2013
This is a weird story. Guess what a woman named Kylee Francescan found in a recycling dumpster behind a Nashville elementary school. GUESS. A human head? A new string of a deadly bacteria? A leprechaun who had been surviving there alone for two years off of discarded... More  →
Guess What Someone Found in a Nashville Dumpster (Hint: Related to Taylor Swift)