Skip over navigation

"Mom, You're the Best": A Mother's Day Card from a Sparkler!

By ContributorMay 9, 2012
I have the best mom in the world—and on Mother's Day, that presents a bit of a challenge. You see, it can be a bit difficult to get her a gift that truly expresses just how much I love her! Last year, my dad and... More  →
"Mom, You're the Best": A Mother's Day Card from a Sparkler!

My Embarrassing Internship Story

By SissyMay 9, 2012
During college, I had ton of internships, some better than others. One summer, I landed an internship at an advertising company on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. I was really excited—I basically had that song “Hot Child in the City” playing in my head... More  →
My Embarrassing Internship Story

Current Events: Economy, Austerity, and Elections

Hello, my magnificent Sparklers! Before we jump into the news of the day, a quick announcement: this column is officially a series! I know, I’m excited too. If you need a second to calm down, it’s ok. I’ll wait. So from now on,... More  →
Current Events: Economy, Austerity, and Elections

How to Connect With Your Mom

By Chrissie GruebelMay 9, 2012
You're always saying to your mom, "Fear not, Mom. I promise I'm eating three meals a day and everything's clean"—but if she can't see it, she doesn't believe you. Moms are very visual creatures. Skype opens the door so your mom... More  →
How to Connect With Your Mom

What I'm Doing INSTEAD of Doing My Homework

Sure, I’ve got a giant history paper due, a math quiz to study for, a French debate to prepare for, and an AP History test to worry about, but that doesn’t mean that I’m actually doing any of that stuff! Let’s face it: the world... More  →
What I'm Doing INSTEAD of Doing My Homework

TV Shows We'd Love to See Tim Burton Remake as Films

By RG DanielsMay 9, 2012
With the release of Dark Shadows this Friday, director Tim Burton has once again breathed new life into an old television show.  His darkly original approach has been applied to so many of our beloved stories that we thought it'd be interesting to see how... More  →
TV Shows We'd Love to See Tim Burton Remake as Films

The Best Breakup Advice My Mom Ever Gave Me

By Melissa AlbertMay 9, 2012
In my last year of college, I was dating this guy who was a real piece of work. Let's call him George. He dumped me, I took him back. He dumped me again, I started seeing someone else. But for some crazy reason,... More  →
The Best Breakup Advice My Mom Ever Gave Me

Real Things We've Done to Avoid Being Hit On

By Valerie BurnMay 9, 2012
Getting hit on is the worst. Not because the guys are gross or we’re sooo modest, but it’s just really uncomfortable. Perhaps we need to learn how to take a compliment, but all we can hear is STRANGER DANGER when someone tries to flirt with... More  →
Real Things We've Done to Avoid Being Hit On

Open Thread for May 9

By SparkLifeMay 9, 2012
Addam says... "I saw this while I was getting dinner at Arby's. It's a Maserati GranTurismo Coupé...yeah, living in Cali does have some benefits..." We don't totally get the whole nice-car thing, but we do love Arby's!... More  →
Open Thread for May 9

Star Style at the Met Gala: Which Dress Would You Wear to Prom?

By Chelsea DaggerMay 8, 2012
All your favorite starlets hit the red carpet last night for one of the most glamorous events of the year: the Metropolitan Costume Institute Gala (it's basically like the Yule Ball for celebs, but with fewer angsty Quidditch superstars and more hot gingers). And while the d More  →
Star Style at the Met Gala: Which Dress Would You Wear to Prom?