Skip over navigation

A Day in the Life of a Public School Kid

By ContributorDecember 17, 2009
Sparkler synchrogirl117 does a great job of using a few specific examples from her daily grind to vividly illustrate the public school lifestyle. Great work, synchrogirl! —SparkNotes editors As I looked through recent SparkLife comments, I was surprised at how many of my fellow... More  →
A Day in the Life of a Public School Kid

"Malls" Around the World

By Robert IsenbergDecember 17, 2009
Ahh, the mall: The meeting point of teenagers across America. Behold, the food court, laden with burgers and Tex Mex! Witness the fountain full of pennies! And the stores! So many cool outfits, so few credit cards. But shopping malls are tres American. In many other... More  →
"Malls" Around the World

Beating the Winter Break Blues

By Julie KrautDecember 17, 2009
You probably know the symptoms: It’s about three days into winter break and the rooms in your house start to feel smaller. There’s absolutely nothing good on TV. You can’t take a nap because you just woke up from 12 hours of sleep. You’re bored... More  →
Beating the Winter Break Blues

The Best Holiday Movies

By Katie_RolnickDecember 17, 2009
You're gonna have lots of time on your hands over the winter break. And if you live near or north of the 35th parallel, there's a good chance it's going to be too cold to spend much of that time outside. That means movies (and, of... More  →
The Best Holiday Movies

Yo Mama's So... And Other Great Comebacks

By Kathryn_WilliamsDecember 17, 2009
If you're anything like us, you spend a good 32% of your weekly allotment of mental energy imagining certain situations and your potential witty yet biting responses. Sometimes we stand in front of the mirror and reimagine situations that have already happened, tailoring... More  →
Yo Mama's So... And Other Great Comebacks

Auntie SparkNotes: Doormats Looking for Love

By kat_rosenfieldDecember 17, 2009
Today's letter-writer kept her question short and sweet: I am a freshman in high school and I haven't had a boyfriend. Like, ever. I know that guys are stupid in high school and I should be happy with my life, but it's so depressing that almost... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Doormats Looking for Love

Brains vs. Brawn

By ContributorDecember 16, 2009
Superheroes! Klingon! Electric Slide! Hooray,  iluvfacetouching, we luv your post! —SparkNotes editors You know those people at school who think they don’t need friends (or sunlight) because they know that intelligence is everything? Or the jock/chock that won’t bother reading academic journals when there... More  →
Brains vs. Brawn

Awesome Thing of the Week

By Emily WinterDecember 16, 2009
Sparklers, you're so...good! So moral. So kind. So...unlike your editors. We can't help it: We got a kick out of seeing small children cry in last week's Awesome Thing, sketchysantas.com. But the Sparklers have spoken, and you have given the site a... More  →
Awesome Thing of the Week

We’re Bringing Grungy Back

By Julie KrautDecember 16, 2009
Arriving at the end of a decade has made us nostalgic for decades past. We’ve been looking at pictures from the 90s, and are surprised at how relevant and cool those clothes look today. The style we’re particularly taken with is the grunge look—greasy hair, torn... More  →
We’re Bringing Grungy Back

Blogging To Kill a Mockingbird: Part 3 (Chapter 4)

By RamseyDecember 16, 2009
I’d like to address some angry emails I’ve been getting. Yes, the title of this blog is “Blogging To Kill a Mockingbird.” This doesn’t mean that I am blogging about killing an actual mockingbird. How would that even work? A hit counter attached to some... More  →
Blogging To Kill a Mockingbird: Part 3 (Chapter 4)