Skip over navigation

Awesome Thing of the Week

By Emily WinterSeptember 30, 2009
You guys rock. In last week's Friday Awards, we asked you to send your favorite Awesome Things to contribute@sparknotes.com, and we got some really good stuff. We're going to post lots of Sparkler suggestions (some anonymous, some credited) in the coming weeks.... More  →
Awesome Thing of the Week

Four Landmarks of Nerd Culture

By Matt_HunzikerSeptember 30, 2009
Sparklers, reading your responses to our posts on nerd culture is giving us a warm feeling in the part of our brains that obsesses over nested fractals and waiting in line for the midnight showing of Harry Potter 7, so keep... More  →
Four Landmarks of Nerd Culture

Auntie SparkNotes: The Love Curse

By kat_rosenfieldSeptember 30, 2009
Auntie SparkNotes is back from vacation! The mail piled up in my absence, so I’ll be tackling your problems daily for the rest of the week. Let’s see how many questions I get through before I pass out from the jet lag! First up: A letter-writer... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: The Love Curse

Sparkler Pet Peeves

By ContributorSeptember 30, 2009
Sparkler bond_chick001 is annoyed. REALLY annoyed. —SparkNotes Editors I’m learning from experience that not all people are nice or easy to be around. In fact, some have habits that just totally get on my last nerve. Here's a partial list of things that... More  →
Sparkler Pet Peeves

Better Texting Language

By Chelsea DaggerSeptember 30, 2009
To further help you in your quest to become a Master of Text (which is sort of like being the Harry Potter of the wizarding world, only way better), we did some online research and found this site, which has every text abbreviation... More  →
Better Texting Language

So You Don't Want to Read ______?

By Katie_RolnickSeptember 30, 2009
Because we hate censorship, we love Banned Books Week. But it occurs to us that if we were in a devious and anti-First-Amendment mood, we could use Banned Books Week as a way to get more books banned, particularly those books that make our... More  →
So You Don't Want to Read ______?

50 Things More Frightening Than Vampires

By Dan_BergsteinSeptember 29, 2009
Stores are already pushing Christmas merchandise. That can mean only one thing: Halloween season is here! Yes, we know it's still September, but the smell of candy corn in the air has us all excited. We have creepy crawly posts in the works for October,... More  →
50 Things More Frightening Than Vampires

The Magical Musical Movie Review

By Kathryn_WilliamsSeptember 29, 2009
What is it about musical movies that just make life better? They're contagious. They get your foot tappin' and your hips swayin'; they inspire you to break out in song about things as mundane as your cell phone. Yes, musical movies... More  →
The Magical Musical Movie Review

What Your Seat Says About You

By laura_buchholzSeptember 29, 2009
Say it’s your first day of class. You’re the first one in your classroom, so you have your pick of seats. Which one do you choose? Your selection says a lot about you and what your future might hold. If you sit... Front row, center You are... The student... More  →
What Your Seat Says About You

"There's No Such Thing as a Saturday," and Other Potential Viral Crazes

By Katie_RolnickSeptember 29, 2009
There's a new virus making its way through China. Don't panic—we're not talking about a mutant strain of SARS or swine flu. We're talking about a bizarre but harmless viral phenomenon that began a few months ago. It started as an anonymous post on... More  →
"There's No Such Thing as a Saturday," and Other Potential Viral Crazes