Skip over navigation

Writer Condenses SparkNotes, Enjoys Successful Career, Dies Old

By Emily WinterApril 17, 2009
Ever wanted SparkNotes for your SparkNotes? Lucky for you, between Twitter and sites like this one, it seems like you can find uber-condensed summaries of everything from movies to your cousin's toe hair. ...Everything except literature, that is. We at SparkNotes could stand no... More  →

Auntie SparkNotes Will Get Rid of Your Room-Elephant

By kat_rosenfieldApril 16, 2009
This week, we heard from a commenter with a classic conundrum. Sparklife, I need your help!! I am really in love with a girl, and I mean it. I would never allow anything to happen to her, and so on. But the problem is that I am... More  →

What Lies in the Shadow of the Statute? Isn't it Obvious?

By Dan_BergsteinApril 16, 2009
Since last week's episode of LOST, we've been puzzling over this question: "What lies in the shadow of the statue?" And this week, the mysterious gang of anti-Charles Widmore thugs asked the question to a confused Miles, while warning him that if he can't answer... More  →

Teachers’ New Weapon: The Online Plagiarism Detector

By Chris_DikenApril 16, 2009
Damn you, Internet! For years, you made it so easy to plagiarize with your Wikipedia pages and your blogs written by smart people. Now you make it just as easy to get caught! Students who pillage online sources because they are too lazy... More  →

Music for the Over-and-Under Achiever

By Jonathan_FlaxApril 16, 2009
Some of you have seen the Wes Anderson film "Rushmore"; a few of you actually live it. In the movie, 15-year-old protagonist Max Fischer brags to his much older Harvard-educated love interest that Oxford and the Sorbonne are his top two school choices, but... More  →

Word Nerds: SparkNotes Patented Vocab Study Method

By Katie_RolnickApril 16, 2009
So, you're taking the SAT again, trying to pump up your score just a few points? Even though the CollegeBoard nixed the analogies section four years ago, a comprehensive and diverse vocabulary is still worthwhile. The Critical Reading sections become oh-so-much easier when you understand... More  →

No One Wants to Hear About It

By Dan_BergsteinApril 15, 2009
Some topics of conversation are dull. Soporific. Plain old boring. No one is innocent: we all find ourselves talking about this snoozy stuff sometimes. But that doesn't make it right. Sparklers, let's make a list of the items no one wants to hear about. Ever. Not... More  →

America's Next Top Blago

By kat_rosenfieldApril 15, 2009
We don't usually talk about politics on SparkLife, but the wackadoo antics of disgraced former governor Rod Blagojevich have forced us to make an exception. Wiretapped, impeached, indicted on federal corruption charges, and generally regarded by the public as a miserable failure…well, it seemed... More  →

These Books Are Great...In Bed.

By kat_rosenfieldApril 14, 2009
Last month, the literary community was all aflutter over this portrait, widely considered to be a never-before-seen likeness of William Shakespeare himself. Why all the hubbub, you ask? Because it depicts the Bard as a hunk of hot Elizabethan man-meat, that’s why! Whereas most images... More  →

The Five Types of Failure

By Chris_DikenApril 14, 2009
A bad grade often causes a strong physical reaction in the recipient: There’s the nervous, verge-of-vomiting feeling that hits your stomach when the test or essay is passed back. Then starts the palm sweat and dry mouth. As pain spreads through your body, you stare... More  →