Skip over navigation

You Got a Raise: Here's How to Spend It!

By Katie_RolnickJuly 28, 2009
Congratulations! You just got a raise! Well, you did if you make minimum wage. Last week, the federal minimum wage went from a measly $6.55 per hour to a whopping $7.25 per hour! What's that? You're not impressed? You don't think an extra $0.70 an hour... More  →
You Got a Raise: Here's How to Spend It!

SparkNotes' Glossary of British Slang

By ContributorJuly 28, 2009
British Sparkler FrankiiDoodle1 had a lot of interesting stuff to say in the comments section about this post, so we asked her to write the official SparkNotes glossary of Northern British slang! Enjoy! —SparkNotes Editors Disclaimer: Much of the slang featured... More  →
SparkNotes' Glossary of British Slang

Tim Burton, Please Read This

By Dan_BergsteinJuly 27, 2009
The preview for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is a colorful, dazzling ad for one of the funniest and craziest stories ever written. (If you haven't read this book yet, do so immediately, regardless of your age.) But after watching the trailer, we were left feeling... More  →

Wow, You Smell Like...

By Jen_MacNeilJuly 27, 2009
Ah, summer! A time for crappy jobs, vacations with your parents, and… smellier smells? Yep: heat intensifies scent. And with all that extra odor, you might want to put some extra thought into what you spray yourself with in the morning. Whether it’s a... More  →
Wow, You Smell Like...

Help! My Friend Has No Taste in Music

By Joe_LynchJuly 27, 2009
Maybe there's one in your life: the sig other who only listens to one awful subgenre of emo, the best friend whose favorite album is "NOW That’s What I Call Music!"…this person is wonderful, but being around him/her makes your ears hurt. And the worst... More  →
Help! My Friend Has No Taste in Music

Accidental Science: Making the World a Better Place

By Katie_RolnickJuly 25, 2009
Many unexpected, happy accidents have resulted from simple goofing around in the science lab—innovations from Penicillin to Silly Putty to low-cal/melt-free chocolate. What's that you say?... More  →
Accidental Science: Making the World a Better Place

Cute Thing of the Week

By Emily WinterJuly 24, 2009
I am really trying to let my love of puppies not get in the way of my work here at SparkLife but... awwwwwwwwwwww! Aren't they just the most caption-friendly puppies you've ever seen?! Thanks so much to xEmx23, who sent in this adorable photo. So, Sparklers,... More  →

Auntie SparkNotes Takes On the Double Whammy of Suck

By kat_rosenfieldJuly 24, 2009
Dear Auntie Sparknotes, I've never asked a stranger for advice before but I don't know who else to go to. My friends are say one thing and my parents are saying another i'm just really confuzzeled. So here it goes: I deeply... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes Takes On the Double Whammy of Suck

The Friday Awards!

By Emily WinterJuly 24, 2009
What a week, Sparklers! After this crazy couple of days on sparknotes.com, it seems we all have some stories to tell. Amazing Flood Story Awards go to... ipebble for... that reminds me of the time that me and my sister were in the extra kitchen (now a... More  →
The Friday Awards!

Start Your Career Now. Now!

By Jeff_AlexanderJuly 24, 2009
One of the most common complaints about high school is that it doesn't prepare you for a career in the real world. We at SparkNotes disagree. High school can offer you a start in any number of careers, and you can actually try some of... More  →
Start Your Career Now. Now!