Skip over navigation

If You Refuse to Wear This Drape, the Administration Will Deny All Knowledge of Your Existence

By kat_rosenfieldNovember 11, 2009
Please complete the following sentence: Clothes are... a) the only thing standing between me and a highly embarrassing episode of public nudity. b) an important tool of self-expression. c) something school administrators will give themselves ulcers trying to control. d) all of the above. If you answered “d”, then you're on... More  →
If You Refuse to Wear This Drape, the Administration Will Deny All Knowledge of Your Existence

Blogging Lord of the Flies, Chapter 4: Painted Faces and Long Hair

By Jon_SkindzierNovember 11, 2009
Jon is blogging Lord of the Flies. For a list of his posts, go here. Welcome to Chapter 4, Painted Faces and Long Hair, aka The Boys Finally Kill Something On Purpose, And Also Are Jerks. We start with a description of how the boys... More  →
Blogging Lord of the Flies, Chapter 4: Painted Faces and Long Hair

Awesome Things of the Week

By Emily WinterNovember 11, 2009
You read that right, Sparklers: this week, we'd like to present some very awesome things, not thing. We're amping up Awesome Thing for a special Awesome Thing-Off: a mini competition to see which new Awesome Thing in our stockpile is the awesomest of all. Here's how to... More  →
Awesome Things of the Week

Students You Love to Hate

By ContributorNovember 10, 2009
Sparkler allcatscarecrazy has been reading SparkLife for months, but has only recently created an account (and written this funny post). Makes us wonder how many nickname-less Sparklers are out there. If you're a secret Sparkler, sign up and join the convo! We just... More  →
Students You Love to Hate

Dagger University: The Best Worst Years of Your Life

By Chelsea DaggerNovember 10, 2009
This is the scenario. It is Friday night. It is your first week of college. It is 7:43 pm. You are alone in your dorm room, and you are some combination of the following: nauseous ever so lonesome paralyzed by a sense of imminent doom covered... More  →
Dagger University: The Best Worst Years of Your Life

How to Not be Awkward: A High Schooler's Guide

By ContributorNovember 10, 2009
ALOL LOL LOL LOL LOLZ LOLZ! We heart marshizzle1! —SparkNotes editors My mother always says, “Nothing's awkward unless you think it’s awkward. Now do the dishes.” However, you and I both know this is completely untrue. No matter how hard you try not to, you... More  →
How to Not be Awkward: A High Schooler's Guide

Your Worst Grade, Rationalized

By laura_buchholzNovember 10, 2009
What’s the worst grade you’ve ever gotten? Did that grade ruin your life? Well, after you read our handy guide to grade rationalization, grades will never ruin your life again. A+ This grade requires no rationalization. You simply cannot do any better, so go about your... More  →
Your Worst Grade, Rationalized

A Lesson In Perseverance: Driver's Test Edition

By Katie_RolnickNovember 10, 2009
You know that old saying, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, keep trying, try, try, try (man this is taking forever), try, try...again." Well, that might be slightly different than the old saying, but we had to... More  →
A Lesson In Perseverance: Driver's Test Edition

The Three Types of C Students

By Dan_BergsteinNovember 9, 2009
There is no such thing as a perfect grading system (though we think a "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down" system would be fun, like a movie review). Most students receive number grades or letter grades. We know that each school district has a different definition for a... More  →
The Three Types of C Students

Auntie SparkNotes: Gay, Straight, or Can of Soup?

By kat_rosenfieldNovember 9, 2009
Hey Sparklers! Because I love your letters so much, starting today, I'll be answering two of 'em per week. So if you've been sitting on a particularly juicy problem, now's the time to get brave and write in. And now, this week's letter: Dear Auntie Sparknotes, I... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Gay, Straight, or Can of Soup?