Skip over navigation

50 Ways to Spend Your Sick Day

By Matt_HunzikerOctober 6, 2009
It's flu season again, and if the past several months of news stories are any indication, we're headed for a doozy. Over the next few weeks, your fellow students are going to start dropping off the daily roll-call like flies. Don't be surprised to see... More  →
50 Ways to Spend Your Sick Day

Get Sacked

By Emily WinterOctober 6, 2009
Welcome to the world of SAT vocab novels, where reading is mandatory, treats are prohibited, and nobody leaves without putting in a good word about motifs or something French. Just kidding! Here's how this really works: Every Sunday we're going to post a chapter of a brand... More  →
Get Sacked

Baseless Complaints About Young People, Part 1: Writing

By Jon_SkindzierOctober 6, 2009
For as long as there have been young people, there have been old people who do not like them. Sometimes the old people sort of have a point—like maybe they're wondering why Lil' Wayne keeps rapping about Martians—but usually the complaints just range... More  →
Baseless Complaints About Young People, Part 1: Writing

Haiku! Bless You.

By Kathryn_WilliamsOctober 5, 2009
One of our favorite kinds of poetry is haiku. And nooooo, it's not just because it's only three lines long. Okay, yes, maybe that's why. But anyway, it's a highly regarded form of Japanese verse. So lay off. And what better way to express... More  →
Haiku! Bless You.

Four Types of Cool Halloween Costumes

By ContributorOctober 5, 2009
Sparkler MichaelRyans knows it's time to start thinking seriously about Halloween costumes if you plan to dress up this year. Here are his tips! —SparkNotes Editors Vampires are so last year. Mummies are dummies. Don't even let me get started on ghosts... More  →
Four Types of Cool Halloween Costumes

Cute Thing of the Week

By Emily WinterOctober 5, 2009
This week's cute cat pic is courtesy of Sparkler Heater012. Thanks, Heater012, for the adorable picture of these two critters caught off-guard. Since we've had adorable cats up on Cute Thing before, let's make this time... More  →
Cute Thing of the Week

Auntie SparkNotes: Lying Liars Who Lie

By kat_rosenfieldOctober 5, 2009
The advice-giving marathon continues! Read on: I had a really rough time in junior high with catty girls, so when I got to high school and found a really good group of friends, it was a huge relief. My current group of friends are some of... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Lying Liars Who Lie

Gym Class Survival Guide

By Dan_BergsteinOctober 5, 2009
Because the world is a harsh, cruel place, high school students are required to take physical education. While some students love this class, if you're reading this post, chances are you're not one of them. Since there is no way to avoid gym unless you're... More  →
Gym Class Survival Guide

October Horoscopes

By Dan_BergsteinOctober 2, 2009
Because our September horoscopes were so scientifically accurate, we've decided to share our powers of precognition once again. What's coming up for you during the month of October? Read ahead, if you dare… Aries (March 21 – April 19) Do not touch anything that is blue.... More  →
October Horoscopes

Chris Listens: Magnet Schools, Changing Friends, and Waiting for the Right Time

By Chris_DikenOctober 2, 2009
Hello Sparklers. Welcome to Chris Listens, the internet advice column that juxtaposes your questions and my answers. This week, I received a rather specific inquiry about this whole enterprise: I was on SparkNotes and stumbled upon your advice column. What an absurd job. How did you... More  →
Chris Listens: Magnet Schools, Changing Friends, and Waiting for the Right Time