Skip over navigation

The Pros and Cons of a Month-Long Winter Break

By ContributorJanuary 12, 2010
We never knew some high schools got four weeks of vacation!!! Man, did we pick the wrong schools... Thanks for the info, endlesslight44! —SparkNotes editors How many of my fellow Sparklers get a month-long winter break? Normally I do. The school I attended from... More  →
The Pros and Cons of a Month-Long Winter Break

How to Change the Subject

By ContributorJanuary 11, 2010
Sparkler abby0912 seems to be well-versed in dealing with awkwardness. Kinda makes us wonder what awkward moments inspired her to become such an expert! —SparkNotes editors When awkward situations occur, what should you do?: A)   Laugh it off B)  Do the “awkward turtle” C)   Run... More  →
How to Change the Subject

The Diary of Ashley Spencer: Adventures in Babysitting and Abuse

By Ashley SpencerJanuary 11, 2010
A little extra cash can never be a bad thing, especially since I have no idea how much longer I can tolerate my job. I’ve been taking more and more writing classes and really just want to do something I love, instead of living half-heartedly... More  →
The Diary of Ashley Spencer: Adventures in Babysitting and Abuse

Cute Thing of the Week

By Emily WinterJanuary 11, 2010
Baby. Sea Turtle. Ohhhhhh yes. I just got back from a weekend SCUBA trip to somewhere turtle-filled and warm, and I simply cannot get enough of these cute (but not cuddly) creatures. Did you know baby sea turtles hatch on the beach, and have to find... More  →
Cute Thing of the Week

Lazy Cuisine: Grilled Cheese Goodness

By Robert IsenbergJanuary 11, 2010
Fact: The easiest, greasiest, happiest homemade lunch is the grilled cheese sandwich. If you're not sure how to turn on a stove, and everything you put in the microwave gets burned, try the following. And don't think of this as a stodgy old recipe. Think of... More  →
Lazy Cuisine: Grilled Cheese Goodness

Auntie SparkNotes: How to Flirt If You're a Dude, Part 1: The Look

By kat_rosenfieldJanuary 11, 2010
If you were here last week, you probably noticed a whole lotta flirting goin' on, what with all the Looking and Come Hithering and Insidious Touching of Friends Who We Wish Were Our Boyfriends. And if you're a female Sparkler, those first four installments of... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: How to Flirt If You're a Dude, Part 1: The Look

The Seven People You'll Meet During a Fire Drill

By Dan_BergsteinJanuary 11, 2010
Like smelly science rooms and unrequited love, fire drills are a part of high school life. For most students, a fire drill is an interesting interruption in an otherwise dull day. But as you wait outside for the all-clear signal, you will notice several... More  →
The Seven People You'll Meet During a Fire Drill

Oh Fart, Am I In Love?

By Kia WoodJanuary 11, 2010
Want to know the real benchmark of a relationship? It's not the first date, the first kiss, even the first time you meet each other's parents. It’s the first fart. That’s right, kiddies, we won’t deny it, we’ll supply it—you’ll know how close you... More  →
Oh Fart, Am I In Love?

The Friday Awards: Saturday Edition

By EmmaJanuary 9, 2010
Emily went to the beach for, like, a day. And everything fell apart!!! We almost broke Facebook. We keep sending emails to Emily and then getting upset when she doesn't write back. Our shoes are too tight. We have a headache. Somehow we spilled pasta... More  →
The Friday Awards: Saturday Edition

Do Not Enter: Exploring the Forbidden Rooms of Your School

By Dan_BergsteinJanuary 8, 2010
As you roam the halls of high school, you may notice a strange door or two on your way to class. Though you'd love to check out these mysterious rooms, they are strictly off-limits to students. But the editors and writers here at SparkNotes are... More  →
Do Not Enter: Exploring the Forbidden Rooms of Your School