Skip over navigation

Sleep in Class (Without Getting Caught)

By Emily WinterMarch 2, 2009
You spoke (or, uh, typed) and we listened: A while back, we posted about how to stay awake in class. Turns out we were a liiiiiiittle bit off base. We'd like to take this opportunity to give a shoutout to SparkNotes commenter... More  →

Decorating with West Elm: The Painter, The Baker, and the Moped Speed Racer

By Kathryn_WilliamsMarch 2, 2009
We’re all on a budget these days. (If you’re not, then you’re rich enough that you’re about to be, suckah.) So when it comes time to liven up your bedroom or dorm room, you probably aren’t prepared to take on extra after school... More  →

True Confessions of a High School Kid: NKOTB

By Thagsana_RMarch 2, 2009
On their first day of ninth grade, all students are considered "The New Kid." In my case, the newness was especially intense, for two reasons: 1. My parents had decided to extend my summer vacation, because “your grandparents could really use the company,” so I... More  →

Are you a Sext Offender?

By kat_rosenfieldMarch 2, 2009
When I was 16—which was not that long ago, but long enough that nobody had a camera phone yet—I let my art student boyfriend do a portrait of me. It was pen-and-ink on white paper, poster sized, with a sort of impressionist flair... ...oh, and did... More  →

The Tricks of the Trade

By Emily WinterFebruary 27, 2009
You may not want to sell your soul, but would you trade it? Obviously, you know the country is smack in the middle of a..., um, to put it mildly, ECONOMIC MELTDOWN OMFG. And when there's no more money left to go around, people start bartering... More  →

Five Ways to Keep Up with President Obama Online

By Chris_DikenFebruary 26, 2009

Ever since Barack Obama stopped updating his Twitter account, we at SparkNotes have been adrift. Back in the day, Twitter made tracking the President-Elect’s progress so easy: Barack Obama is at “Change We Need” rally in Henderson, Nevada; now he’s launching a

... More  →

NEWS FLASH: Fringe Is Better Than LOST.

By kat_rosenfieldFebruary 26, 2009
Did you know that J.J. Abrams, in addition to being responsible for primetime behemoth LOST, also has another show? It’s called Fringe. Have you been watching Fringe? Well, you should be… because Fringe is better than LOST. There, we said it. In fact, Fringe... More  →

Facebook is Forever

By Katie_RolnickFebruary 26, 2009
Your teachers and parents have been warning you to be careful what you put on the Internet. "Once it's out there, it's out there," they say. And you are all, "Whatever, old people." Well this time they may be right. A couple of weeks ago Facebook... More  →

This Means War!

By Dan_BergsteinFebruary 26, 2009
Last night's episode of LOST set the stage for a coming war, as predicted by Charles Widmore. The problem is we still don't know who is fighting in this war, or which side to root for. After careful analysis, we have come up with a... More  →

Losing (or Winning) My Religion

By Jeff_AlexanderFebruary 26, 2009
When I first heard about the game Mass Effect, I wondered if it had to do with church. What can I say, I was raised Catholic. But after learning that Mass Effect isn’t about that kind of Mass, I realized that there’s a yawning... More  →