Skip over navigation

How to Win a Staring Contest

By Dan_BergsteinMarch 24, 2010
Like chess, staring contests are easy to play, but difficult to master. Oh, sure, it sounds simple: just keep your eyes open and locked onto your opponent’s peepers. But there is a strategy, folks. After spending our college days making pizza money on the underground... More  →
How to Win a Staring Contest

I Am Obsessed with The Little Mermaid

By ContributorMarch 24, 2010
We hope this post's author, Sparkler LyndsLove, sends in a pic of her amazing tutu for the open thread! —SparkNotes editors Remember when flunkybed wrote More  →
I Am Obsessed with The Little Mermaid

A Day in the Life of a Humanities Magnet Program Student

There are some serious bullies at your school,  sixtiesforever! Let's get Dan and Auntie to show 'em who's boss. —SparkNotes editors I attend a "Humanities magnet program," which is basically a program in a regular public middle school for "highly gifted students who... More  →
A Day in the Life of a Humanities Magnet Program Student

Awesome Thing of the Week

By Emily WinterMarch 24, 2010
We like this week's Awesome Thing because we happen to be musically-challenged. We tried playing in a band for a while, but we were BAD. Awful! Gag-inducingly horrible! It would have been so much better if we could have just played the drums with our... More  →
Awesome Thing of the Week

Auntie SparkNotes: Run Away!

By kat_rosenfieldMarch 24, 2010
Dear Auntie Sparknotes, My friend has recently begun to date a boy that I have always though to be a complete gentlemen. However, I am beginning to think that their relationship might be getting overly obsessive and controlling. They spend ever minute together, in the morning... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Run Away!

The People You Meet in Drivers Ed

Driver's ed isn't just a place for memorizing roadsigns and mastering signals. It's also a People Zoo. The observant and witty GoingBananas explains. Sparknotes editors You really shouldn’t label people before you get to know them, but how can you... More  →
The People You Meet in Drivers Ed

Open Thread for March 24

By Emily WinterMarch 24, 2010
This is LizzieB95's little buddy, Grape. LizzieB95 says Grape (aka Piggus, Grapeuus, and Oinkus) is loving and curious. The camera-shy guinea pig in the background is Welch. Grape and Welch kind of remind us of our childhood guinea... More  →
Open Thread for March 24

Sparklers Who Can't Function Before Noon

By ContributorMarch 23, 2010
Sparkler paint_it_black31 is grumpy before noon. We don't have rollerskates, but we can still relate. —SparkNotes editors If you're a typical teenager, you know just how frustratingly horrible school mornings can be: You wake up late, rush to get ready,... More  →
Sparklers Who Can't Function Before Noon

Haikus for All Occasions

By kat_rosenfieldMarch 23, 2010
Do you like greeting cards? So do we! Except for one thing: whenever we want to find just the right card for a birthday, anniversary, or graduation, the poems inside are always so... lame. They're either totally unimaginative (Roses are red, violets are blue), totally... More  →
Haikus for All Occasions

Everything You Didn’t Know About Harry Potter

By ContributorMarch 23, 2010
Welcome to "Where Are They Now?" Harry Potter edition. In today's episode, Sparkler sligers118 reveals JK Rowling's actual plans for her characters following the conclusion of the Harry Potter series. (We know, letting go is never easy). —Sparknotes editors When it came... More  →
Everything You Didn’t Know About Harry Potter