Skip over navigation

The Real Magic School Bus...err, Plane

By Katie_RolnickApril 21, 2009
Wouldn't it be super-fantabulous if you didn't have to sit in a bland, cookie-cutter, concrete-walled classroom? We know, we too used to long for the Magic School Bus and Ms. Frizzle to carry us away from those drab surroundings. If only we were... More  →

Extracurriculars: The Home Schoolers' Guide

By Jeff_AlexanderApril 21, 2009
You might think that students who get home schooled would miss out on a lot of the things that other students enjoy. But that doesn't have to be the case. For instance, did you know there are home school science fairs, where home schooled students from around their... More  →

The Perfect Homework Environment

By Dan_BergsteinApril 20, 2009
According to interior designer Brian Patrick Flynn, it's important to have a proper work area for homework and other household activities, dubbed The Family Workspace. This isn't just a kitchen table or a patch of rug in front of the TV, but an... More  →

Yippie-Ki-Yay, Mister Falcon! (And Other "Bullspit" Overdubs)

By kat_rosenfieldApril 20, 2009
Somebody had better fetch my grandma her smelling salts: According to the folks at AdAge, some guy said the f-word on last night’s debut episode of Southland, and the censors bleeped it out, but you could still totally tell what... More  →

17 Again: The Pros and Cons of Time Travel

By Katie_RolnickApril 20, 2009
17 Again, the movie starring Tom Hanks, I mean Lindsay Lohan...I MEAN Zac Efron opened this past weekend. Since this is the nth generation in a genre of time-swapping, family-friendly films, we kind of know what to expect: Adult sees through child's... More  →

Generation Green

By Kathryn_WilliamsApril 20, 2009
Every generation has a label: the Greatest Generation, Baby Boomers, Generation X, Generation Y. In the unlikely event that Sparklers doesn't catch on, you guys now have a backup label of your own: Generation Green. Because you're the most environmentally conscious generation to tread... More  →

Yearbook Signing Made Easy

By Jeff_AlexanderApril 20, 2009
You open the cover, stare down at a blank space, and freeze as your pen hangs poised above the paper. Panic. Brain-lock. An essay test? No, you're just signing someone's yearbook. Being asked to pen a quick note in something a person may well hold onto for the... More  →

Go to School for Rock 'n' Roll

By Chris_DikenApril 20, 2009
When we were growing up, we dreamed of rock stardom. And because we listened to way too much Mötley Crüe, we thought the only way to achieve it was to drop out of school, pile on the eyeliner, and move to New York or L.A.,... More  →

Writer Condenses SparkNotes, Enjoys Successful Career, Dies Old

By Emily WinterApril 17, 2009
Ever wanted SparkNotes for your SparkNotes? Lucky for you, between Twitter and sites like this one, it seems like you can find uber-condensed summaries of everything from movies to your cousin's toe hair. ...Everything except literature, that is. We at SparkNotes could stand no... More  →

Auntie SparkNotes Will Get Rid of Your Room-Elephant

By kat_rosenfieldApril 16, 2009
This week, we heard from a commenter with a classic conundrum. Sparklife, I need your help!! I am really in love with a girl, and I mean it. I would never allow anything to happen to her, and so on. But the problem is that I am... More  →