Skip over navigation

Chris Listens: Magnet Schools, Changing Friends, and Waiting for the Right Time

By Chris_DikenOctober 2, 2009
Hello Sparklers. Welcome to Chris Listens, the internet advice column that juxtaposes your questions and my answers. This week, I received a rather specific inquiry about this whole enterprise: I was on SparkNotes and stumbled upon your advice column. What an absurd job. How did you... More  →
Chris Listens: Magnet Schools, Changing Friends, and Waiting for the Right Time

Tips for Meeting New People

By ContributorOctober 2, 2009
Sparkler TheRightToDream has some inspiring words for those who feel lost at a new school. Enjoy! —SparkNotes Editors My younger brother became inexplicably nervous the night before his first day of high school. He made sure that everything was in his binders and his... More  →
Tips for Meeting New People

3-Rings vs. Spirals: The Organizer Challenge

By Katie_RolnickOctober 2, 2009
You have to be organized if you want to succeed in school. Neat and orderly class notes can be the difference between an A and, well, something considerably less pleasant than an A. And where you keep those tidy notes is almost as... More  →
3-Rings vs. Spirals: The Organizer Challenge

Hit Songs You Can Jam to with Yr Parents

By Joe_LynchOctober 2, 2009
Your parents + today’s hit music = awkward. Why do your parents seem to walk into your room when the dirtiest songs are playing? “Birthday Sex” just isn’t what your mom wants you listening to, and why did she have to stop talking right when Jeremih... More  →
Hit Songs You Can Jam to with Yr Parents

The Friday Awards

By Emily WinterOctober 2, 2009
Oh glorious, glorious Friday, you are upon us! We bow to you, and in your honor, we vow to spend the next 48 hours eating string cheese in thick, soft hoodies, dancing in our socks to Empire of the Sun, and laying on... More  →
The Friday Awards

Getting Your Parents to Trust You

By ContributorOctober 2, 2009
Sparkler Coral_Sharx brings solid logical reasoning to her post about trust. Enjoy! —SparkNotes Editors We’ve all had to go through it—it’s Friday night, and your friends show up asking you if you want to hang out. But your parents refuse to let you go,... More  →
Getting Your Parents to Trust You

Blogging The Scarlet Letter: Part 8 (Chapters 15 and 16)

By RamseyOctober 2, 2009
Ramsey is reading The Scarlet Letter and blogging about it. His past posts are here, and the SparkNotes lit guide is here. Chapter 15 – Hester and Pearl Instead of jumping ahead seven years into the future, this chapter picks up immediately where... More  →
Blogging The Scarlet Letter: Part 8 (Chapters 15 and 16)

Auntie SparkNotes: Xenophobes and Pennsylvanian Beavers

By kat_rosenfieldOctober 2, 2009
Today's letter: Variations on a theme! So my friends and I have a problem. Towards the end of last year, a girl moved to our school and one of my best friends was chosen by the admissions office to show her around. We didn't... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Xenophobes and Pennsylvanian Beavers

Blogging New Moon: Part 24

By Dan_BergsteinOctober 1, 2009
Chapter Twenty-Four: Vote Better Title: Some Junk Happens and Edward Says Things. Bella Says Things Too. Would you like to know a secret? Edward and Bella are in love! Shocking, right? Who would have thought that these two would ever…Wait a moment. That's not secret at all!... More  →
Blogging New Moon: Part 24

Five Horrible Teacher Archetypes, Ranked By Horribleness

By Jon_SkindzierOctober 1, 2009
School's a full-time job, packed with stress and anxiety and worrying about your future. The last thing anybody needs is to spend a chunk of the day in the company of a teacher who was clearly never intended to interact with human beings. Sometimes these teachers... More  →
Five Horrible Teacher Archetypes, Ranked By Horribleness