Skip over navigation

Happy Anniversary, Dan!

By EmmaFebruary 12, 2010
A year ago this week, Dan Bergstein (aka Lt. Lasermind) started writing for SparkNotes. In our hearts, we're throwing him a ticker tape parade and buying him a mountain of jetpacks, crossbows, pancakes, fireworks, and tiny mechanical horses. In our cash-strapped real lives, though, all... More  →
Happy Anniversary, Dan!

The Perfect Message for Every Type of Valentine

By Katie_RolnickFebruary 11, 2010
One of the worst of all Valentine's Day tasks has to be finding a card with the right message. You spend hours wandering the aisles of the card store, searching in vain for the appropriate note that captures your feelings. But every card says something... More  →
The Perfect Message for Every Type of Valentine

Fill-in-the-Blank Valentine for...Your Long-Distance Boo

By Kathryn_WilliamsFebruary 11, 2010
You're in a long-distance relationship, and even with Skype, it's really hard. Why not tell your sweetie you miss him/her with a cute, slightly paranoid valentine? Dear _____________, Hi, ____________! I ___________ you! I can’t believe it’s been _________ __________s since we’ve _____________ed each... More  →
Fill-in-the-Blank Valentine for...Your Long-Distance Boo

Spice Up the Morning Announcements

By Dan_BergsteinFebruary 11, 2010
No one listens to the morning announcements, not even the people reading them into the microphone or camera (if you go to fancy-pants school that has fancy-pants things like fancy-pants cameras). We here at SparkNotes hate to see bored students, so we offer some suggestions... More  →
Spice Up the Morning Announcements

Blogging Eclipse: Part 13

By Dan_BergsteinFebruary 11, 2010
Chapter Thirteen: Newborn Better Title: Wasted Paper This chapter is reminiscent of the scene in The Empire Strikes Back in which Han Solo pulls the Millennium Falcon over and says, "All right. Now we're going to meet Lando. But before we go, I need to tell you... More  →
Blogging Eclipse: Part 13

Hanging Out with Jazzy: My Favorite Fictional Secret-Heroes!!!

By ContributorFebruary 11, 2010
You guys know Jazzy, right? AKA villanous_mwaha? Welcome back to her Thursday column! —SparkNotes editors In every fantasy book, there is a main character who usually gets all the credit, praise, and swooning women when he "saves the day." But does he deserve all... More  →
Hanging Out with Jazzy: My Favorite Fictional Secret-Heroes!!!

From Napoleon Dynamite to The Jersey Shore: Dances You Can't Miss

By ContributorFebruary 11, 2010
If it weren't illegal, we'd love to take almostt2013 to the Sadie Hawkins.  *sigh* —SparkNotes editors High school dances: Some people dread them, while others spend hours upon hours anticipating them. Unless you attend a school where everyone is put into hand and ankle cuffs... More  →
From Napoleon Dynamite to The Jersey Shore: Dances You Can't Miss

We Miss Talented Famous People

By Kia WoodFebruary 11, 2010
Remember when talented was a prerequisite for fame? People had to develop a skill, and then work hard at that skill, and then with time and effort and fate they sometimes actually became famous. Then reality TV happened. It started out slow, first with a curious... More  →
We Miss Talented Famous People

Auntie SparkNotes: Leggo the All-Consuming Crush

By kat_rosenfieldFebruary 11, 2010
Dear Auntie SparkNotes, I'm in love with this guy... Like totally, absolutely, crazy about him. For a while I thought it might be a passing thing, like with other guys I've liked, but it's been over three years, we're both seniors, and I guess I'm kind... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Leggo the All-Consuming Crush

When Life Gives You Lemons, Do You Throw Them in Life's Face?

By Katie_RolnickFebruary 11, 2010
There are all sorts of preferences that define you: the type of music you listen to, your clothing preferences, even the state of your locker. But when it comes down to it, there are really only two kinds of people: optimists and pessimists.... More  →
When Life Gives You Lemons, Do You Throw Them in Life's Face?