Skip over navigation

Auntie SparkNotes: When Your Ex Dates Your Friend and You Cry

By kat_rosenfieldJune 3, 2010
Before we get to today's column, Auntie has a very special surprise for you: Updates! From past letter-writers! HOORAY! - The girl who was intimidated by her crush's ex-girlfriend reports that she yanked up her confidence pants and asked her crush to the prom...... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: When Your Ex Dates Your Friend and You Cry

Guide to NOT Getting a Summer Job

By ChrisFauxRealJune 3, 2010
Your first summer job is a rite of passage, just like the first time you throw up on a roller coaster. Unfortunately, working at the local Smoothie Shack during the sunniest season of the year isn't nearly as fun as barfing on a high-speed vehicle... More  →
Guide to NOT Getting a Summer Job

How to Deal With Backward Culture Shock

By ContributorJune 3, 2010
blacktophat is quite the jet-setting Sparkler. We wonder if her parents are international spies... —Sparkitors Culture Shock is when you go somewhere away from home, and the sudden wave of newness overwhelms you. Well, sometimes all those things you’ve missed and longed for can overwhelm... More  →
How to Deal With Backward Culture Shock

Life According to Ginger: Graduation, Summer, and Robert Louis Stevenson

Hey Sparklers, guess what? I bet you can guess. You get three seconds. (3, 2, 1) I'm done with high school! It has ALMOST sunk in. I keep on trying to remember what homework I had in Physics. But I'm pretty sure that the fact that it's... More  →
Life According to Ginger: Graduation, Summer, and Robert Louis Stevenson

The Hit List: 5 Bands You Need to Know, Part III

Reicheroo not only has superb taste in music, she's also hilarious. We might be in love with her. But not if that's creepy.— Sparkitors Like tons of other Sparklers, I’m REALLY into music. I play two instruments: guitar and trombone. One is the... More  →
The Hit List: 5 Bands You Need to Know, Part III

How to Be a Diva

By ChrisFauxRealJune 3, 2010
Ever get the feeling that everyone's ignoring you? Well, there's an easy solution: a cupcake cannon. But assuming you can't get ahold of pastry-fueled weaponry, why not attract some attention by gettin' all Mariah Carey up in this joint? Try out a few... More  →
How to Be a Diva

Movie Review: Iron Man 2

By Rachel KorowitzJune 3, 2010
Author's note: My seven-year-old alter-ego also attended the screening. She has promised to keep her contributions to a minimum. First, some background: Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) plays by his own rules! He's wicked smaht! The ladies totally love him! And he gets away with... More  →
Movie Review: Iron Man 2

What It's Like to Travel to...Cairo, Egypt

Today, we're taking a virtual vacation to Egypt, thanks to Fatema. Sparkitors I was born in Cairo and lived there until I was a year and a half old. My family and I live in the United States now, but every summer we... More  →
What It's Like to Travel to...Cairo, Egypt

Open Thread for June 3

By Emily WinterJune 3, 2010
It's a cat! It's a lion! It's a...lioncat? Sparkler NotSmallButFunsize says... So, this is a cat that tends to wander around the courts where my school goes for tennis. Seeing as it's summer and the cat is a Persian, he's been shaved and now looks... More  →
Open Thread for June 3

The Seven People You’ll Meet in Orchestra

By ContributorJune 2, 2010
embracethecheese, embrace your viola or whatever! We'll take the cheese. —Sparkitors Ah, orchestra. I've had good times, bad times, and numerous migraines because of it. Orchestra can bring you together with your best friends, provide an enemy to pick on in your bad moods,... More  →
The Seven People You’ll Meet in Orchestra