Skip over navigation

The To-Do Lists of Literary Characters

By Kathryn_WilliamsFebruary 17, 2010
A few weeks ago, we posted a ♥ letter to the to-do list. It got us wondering what other people's to-do lists look like. Ours are pretty boring, generally topped by "Clean room" or the ever-exciting "Get new toothbrush." But some... More  →
The To-Do Lists of Literary Characters

Olympic Highlights, Part 1

By ContributorFebruary 17, 2010
We heard Johnny Weir skates to Lady G, and we were disappointed that he didn't last night. And that's all we know about the Olympics. Thanks for filling us in on the rest, equestrienne10! —SparkNotes editors As most of you are aware,... More  →
Olympic Highlights, Part 1

Mud, Garlic, and Hippies: A Tour of Weird Festivals

By Katie_RolnickFebruary 17, 2010
Today is Ash Wednesday, which means yesterday was Mardi Gras (or Fat Tuesday, for all you English-speakers). This notorious New Orleans celebration is filled with parades, costumes, music and lots of "adult beverages." People from all over the world descend... More  →
Mud, Garlic, and Hippies: A Tour of Weird Festivals

Modern Mythical Creatures

We give Coffinmaker an A+ for imagination. (We're nervous he'll send The Drama Beast after us if we don't.) —SparkNotes editors In the Olden Days, when they didn’t have Google or public school and they sat around and ate rocks all the time (they... More  →
Modern Mythical Creatures

The Diary of Ashley Spencer: Bringing Home the Moldy Bread

By Ashley SpencerFebruary 17, 2010
I'm the only one in my family with a fulltime job. My dad recently left his finance gig; he was a trader, and In This Economy, he was showing up at work just to lose money. My mom works three afternoons a week at a... More  →
The Diary of Ashley Spencer: Bringing Home the Moldy Bread

Awesome Thing of the Week

By Emily WinterFebruary 17, 2010
We could write haikus upon limericks about this week's Awesome Thing, but we think the Sparkler who submitted it, themarebear, described it best: "This guy has to be a ninja. He is way too awesome to be a normal person. A normal person this... More  →
Awesome Thing of the Week

Auntie SparkNotes: WHOOOOOOOOOOAKAY

By kat_rosenfieldFebruary 17, 2010
Dear Auntie Sparknotes, Ever since sixth grade, I have been friends with this girl, who for the sake of privacy I am calling... Um, Theresa. We were inseparable in sixth grade, but towards the end of seventh grade, we began drifting apart. She got more popular... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: WHOOOOOOOOOOAKAY

College Urban Legends

Freshmen are known for two things: 1) eating their weight in cafeteria pizza, and 2) being clueless. Luckily, Sparkler ashcatash is here to help with #2. —SparkNotes editors As a freshman in college, you'll find that you're the perfect target for tall tales and... More  →
College Urban Legends

Your Very Worst Grade: What Went Wrong?

By Jon_SkindzierFebruary 17, 2010
Everyone screws up a test at least once. We're all only human—fallible, ridiculous humans who sometimes completely forget what a triangle is, or sleep in just a little bit on Saturday only to discover upon waking up that it's actually 2 p.m. on Wednesday. If... More  →
Your Very Worst Grade: What Went Wrong?

We're (Pea)Nuts for George Washington Carver

By kat_rosenfieldFebruary 17, 2010
In holiday-packed February, we honor dead presidents, scare local groundhogs, spend the first 72 hours of this week in a Valentine's Day candy heart-induced sugar coma, and celebrate Black History Month! This month, the United States honors the achievements of... More  →
We're (Pea)Nuts for George Washington Carver