Skip over navigation

Your Own Personal Life Soundtrack!

By Nate DernDecember 24, 2009
Movies can be magical and emotional experiences—especially when they feature a great soundtrack. We hear a low, ominous chord from a cello, and we know the bad guy is about to jump out from behind the corner; we hear the sweet tones of swelling violins,... More  →
Your Own Personal Life Soundtrack!

Awesome Thing of the Week

By Emily WinterDecember 23, 2009
Our contribute@sparknotes.com inbox is flooded with Awesome Things, and we LOVE it that way! But it's always hard for us to choose one Awesome Thing to feature, and this week we decided to randomly select one from the pile. Congrats right_writer, this... More  →
Awesome Thing of the Week

Christmas Cookie FAIL

By ContributorDecember 23, 2009
After reading this very funny post, we think Sparkler dance4life51 should rename herself write4life51. Just a suggestion! —SparkNotes editors We've all had terrible Christmas cookies from cookie exchanges with friends, relatives, neighbors, whoever. Here are some cookies I always avoid: Peppermint balls These come in the... More  →
Christmas Cookie FAIL

What The Cuss?!?

By Kia WoodDecember 23, 2009
There’s an age-old belief that people who curse are lazy and unintelligent. But after you slam your fingers in the car door, it’s not exactly easy to say, “Well, that was quite the painful experience. I do believe I have brought great harm upon my... More  →
What The Cuss?!?

A Guide to Gift Wrapping

By Katie_RolnickDecember 23, 2009
If you're an overachiever (and we know so many of you are), you've already bought all of your gifts. But you're not done. You still need to wrap them. Whether big or small, bought or homemade, your gifts will cry out for some decorative and festive... More  →
A Guide to Gift Wrapping

Disney Princesses Who Are Mentally Ill

By peaceonearth34December 23, 2009
Sparkler peaceonearth34 reminds us that not all cartoons are crush-worthy! —SparkNotes editors Imagine this scenario: You're babysitting your 5-year-old cousin when she grabs an old Disney movie off of the shelf and begs you to play it. You smile and pop it in, preparing... More  →
Disney Princesses Who Are Mentally Ill

Getting, and Surviving, a High School Job

By Jon_SkindzierDecember 23, 2009
Landing a Very First Real Job can be intimidating. But it's actually not hard if you just keep a few tips in mind: 1.) Apply to places you actually like. You're not helping anybody, least of all yourself, if you apply at the local Slime Factory just... More  →
Getting, and Surviving, a High School Job

Stuff to Do on a Snow Day

By Julie KrautDecember 23, 2009
YES! School is canceled because of snow! After you finish happy dancing in your PJs you’re totally going to…um, well, what? Your friends are trapped at their houses, your younger siblings are out playing in the snow, and apparently The Tyra Show and Everybody Loves... More  →
Stuff to Do on a Snow Day

The Diary of Ashley Spencer: You Done Good!

By Ashley SpencerDecember 22, 2009
I’ve never considered myself, in any sense, altruistic. My idea of generosity is letting someone taking a bite of my sandwich, giving a friend complete control of my car’s radio during a long drive, and sometimes holding a door open for a pregnant lady at... More  →
The Diary of Ashley Spencer: You Done Good!

Guide to Oddball Holiday Movies

By Joe_LynchDecember 22, 2009
As you might have noticed, we love a heartwarming holiday flick as much as the next literature-obsessed semi nerd. But sometimes all the good cheer and wholesomeness on display in these movies start to feel as stale as last year's candy cane. Thankfully, over... More  →
Guide to Oddball Holiday Movies