Skip over navigation

Awesome Thing of the Week

By Emily WinterDecember 16, 2009
Sparklers, you're so...good! So moral. So kind. So...unlike your editors. We can't help it: We got a kick out of seeing small children cry in last week's Awesome Thing, sketchysantas.com. But the Sparklers have spoken, and you have given the site a... More  →
Awesome Thing of the Week

We’re Bringing Grungy Back

By Julie KrautDecember 16, 2009
Arriving at the end of a decade has made us nostalgic for decades past. We’ve been looking at pictures from the 90s, and are surprised at how relevant and cool those clothes look today. The style we’re particularly taken with is the grunge look—greasy hair, torn... More  →
We’re Bringing Grungy Back

Blogging To Kill a Mockingbird: Part 3 (Chapter 4)

By RamseyDecember 16, 2009
I’d like to address some angry emails I’ve been getting. Yes, the title of this blog is “Blogging To Kill a Mockingbird.” This doesn’t mean that I am blogging about killing an actual mockingbird. How would that even work? A hit counter attached to some... More  →
Blogging To Kill a Mockingbird: Part 3 (Chapter 4)

Acne: To Pop or Not to Pop?

By Katie_RolnickDecember 16, 2009
Everyone gets a zits now and then, even that girl who has perfectly smooth skin 99% of the time. But what do you do with that zit, the kind no amount of coverup will hide? Do you leave it be, hoping that it will... More  →
Acne: To Pop or Not to Pop?

Auntie SparkNotes: The Age Issue

By kat_rosenfieldDecember 16, 2009
Hey, Sparklers! Commenter pink_diamond6483 asked whether I ever hear back with updates from letter-writers. So far, the answer is “No”—but I'm hoping that'll change. If I've answered your letter in a column, I would love to hear how things worked out. (Even if—gasp!—you... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: The Age Issue

The "Great" Things About Detention

By Kia WoodDecember 16, 2009
Have you ever had a detention? Okay, maybe not you, but perhaps you have a “friend” who thought it’d be funny to TP the biology sub’s Toyota? Then you (or your "friend") know that while detention tends to contain some legitimately bad characters, a lot... More  →
The

What's Your Favorite Everything of '09?

By Emily WinterDecember 15, 2009
Right now, all of your SparkNotes editors and writers are huddled up around a computer, arguing about the top everything of 2009. (...And someone has pizza breath.) The way this conversation's going, we'll be holed up here for days, and we really need your input. What... More  →
What's Your Favorite Everything of '09?

My Rules of Texting

By ContributorDecember 15, 2009
The following post is by Taarryynn77, a Sparkler with fantabulous textiquette! —SparkNotes editors Texting has taken the world by a storm. It's an invention that has made unnecessary, awkward telephone conversations disappear, given us a way to pass the time during Algebra, and allowed... More  →
My Rules of Texting

What to Expect on the Day Before Break

By Katie_RolnickDecember 15, 2009
The holiday break is sooooo close. And as you know, the last day of classes before break won't be an ordinary day. Some teachers blow it off, some plan "special activities," and some insist on being real Scrooges by giving students actual work. You need... More  →
What to Expect on the Day Before Break

The School Commute

By Jon_SkindzierDecember 15, 2009
Much of human existence is spent traveling from Point A to Point B. Or, as is often the case in high school, trudging in the freezing rain from Point A to Point C, where you await a clunky, falling-apart bus with an ornery driver who... More  →
The School Commute