Skip over navigation

Super Soakers, and Other Amazing Inventions

By Kathryn_WilliamsFebruary 22, 2010
Last week, in honor of Black History Month here in the U.S. of A., Super Spark Writer Kat posted about George Washington Carver, a.k.a Mr. Peanut. If it weren't for him, your Chick-fil-a waffle fries would be cooked in... More  →
Super Soakers, and Other Amazing Inventions

5 Things More Dangerous than Laptops in the Classroom

By Dan_BergsteinFebruary 22, 2010
Have you seen this video? For the first minute or so, we thought: Neat. He’s doing science! But the clip ends with the nutty, angry professor yelling that laptops are forbidden in his classroom. And then there's this guy, who really... More  →
5 Things More Dangerous than Laptops in the Classroom

Open Thread for February 22

By Emily WinterFebruary 22, 2010
Does anyone else have a case of The Mondays? We could use another day to lie on the couch and watch 30 Rock, Oscar noms, and the amazing US hockey team. (Wow, we were really glued to the TV this weekend.) On second... More  →
Open Thread for February 22

Open Thread for February 21

By EmmaFebruary 21, 2010
We love the Olympics. But we have a major problem with them: not NEARLY enough Johnny Weir. Okay, so his event is over. Does that mean he has to disappear from our lives? Can't he comment on the ice dancing, or weigh in with fashion tips... More  →
Open Thread for February 21

Open Thread for February 20

By EmmaFebruary 20, 2010
We don't post articles on Saturday or Sunday, because we are very busy: * Watching Super Nanny on our laptops * Getting pedicures * Sleeping until 3 p.m. (not kidding) * Eating bagels, lox, fries, spicy tomato-based drinks, and maybe half an order of pancakes * Going to the gym *... More  →
Open Thread for February 20

What It's Like To Live In...Small-Town Maryland

By ContributorFebruary 19, 2010
We want to know more about this "weird ham store" of which dasp_girly speaks. Are there shelves full of bacon? If so, we want to go there. —SparkNotes editors I guarantee that you've never heard of my town, so I'll spare you the name.... More  →
What It's Like To Live In...Small-Town Maryland

Olympic Highlights, Part 2

Sparkler equestrienne10 sent this post around 5 p.m. Thursday night. There's tons of Olympic stuff happening every day, so come back next week for more recaps! —SparkNotes editors Hyped-up Americans, broken teeth, and burned sideline reporters—it's just another day at the Winter Olympics. Jacobellis falls... More  →
Olympic Highlights, Part 2

The Friday Awards

By Emily WinterFebruary 19, 2010
Chin up, sad sacks! We don't want to make you cry because of the commenting explosion! The commenting explosion is a good problem; we'd rather have zillions of enthusiastic writers and readers than two dumbheads with nothing to say except, "my butt itches... More  →
The Friday Awards

How High School Choir Is Different from Glee

All we want to do is think about Glee, talk about Glee, and go on a date with Puck. Thanks, pastachelli, for helping us with two of the three. —SparkNotes editors I'm an avid fan of Fox's great new television show, Glee. But... More  →
How High School Choir Is Different from Glee

Snowed in Without Power

Glatisant, we beg you, please put your next flyting on YouTube and send us the link! —SparkNotes editors You know the scene: It’s the middle of winter, school’s been canceled until further notice, the power could go out any second, and there’s so much... More  →
Snowed in Without Power