Skip over navigation

Auntie SparkNotes: Stage Fright

By kat_rosenfieldNovember 19, 2009
Dear Auntie SparkNotes, My problem, though compared to some of the stuff other people write to you about, this might seem kinda silly, but here goes. I was asked in class to read out the answer to a question. I was supposed to stand up and... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Stage Fright

Band vs. Choir: The Ultimate Showdown

By laura_buchholzNovember 19, 2009
Would you rather lug a 50-pound baritone sax on and off the school bus twice a day for four years, or put on a sparkly vest every weekend and strut around on a stage doing “jazz hands”? Most people know without thinking about it which... More  →
Band vs. Choir: The Ultimate Showdown

The Cram Jam Playlist

By Kia WoodNovember 19, 2009
It’s 4 a.m. You look out the window and can see the night slowly fading into the morning...possibly. It also might be a hallucination. After all, you’ve been staring at your textbooks for the past six hours, watching the letters dance around on the pages,... More  →
The Cram Jam Playlist

First They Came for the Meepers, and I Said Nothing

By kat_rosenfieldNovember 19, 2009
The Anti-Fun Brigade is coming, and they want your gibberish. In Boston, a high school principal has threatened students with suspension if they say a certain word, a shocking word, a word so dangerous that we are not sure we can even permit it... More  →
First They Came for the Meepers, and I Said Nothing

You—Yes, You!—Can Do Forensics

By Jon_SkindzierNovember 19, 2009
Much to the confusion of every debater's uncles and grandparents, the word "forensics" means both "Legal/Investigative Sciences" and "Speech and Debate." This post is about the latter activity. If you hate public speaking but like dead bodies, then, uh, you should... More  →
You—Yes, You!—Can Do Forensics

The Top 10 Things You'll Learn at Your First Job

By Chelsea DaggerNovember 19, 2009
Unless you’re an inexplicably wealthy vampire, Paris Hilton, or a wildly successful freelance writer earning a cool six bucks a week, chances are you’re gonna have to get a job. And since you’re in high school and have no real skills to speak of,... More  →
The Top 10 Things You'll Learn at Your First Job

Awesome Thing of the Week

By Emily WinterNovember 18, 2009
Thought you got over DisneyWorld or DisneyLand when you turned ten? So did we, Sparklers, so did we... ...But then we saw the video after the jump, and we were re-charmed by the magic of Disney. Check out the technique called tilt-shift, which makes... More  →
Awesome Thing of the Week

What Does Education Smell Like?

By Dan_BergsteinNovember 18, 2009
Every school has the same, distinct odor. It doesn't matter if you attend a private high school in Wyoming, or a public middle school in Florida. They all smell alike. And within the school, each classroom has a special fragrance that all students will find... More  →
What Does Education Smell Like?

What Type of Board Game Player Are You?

By Katie_RolnickNovember 18, 2009
Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and with it comes an evening or two of family board games. These games can reveal a lot about you and your family members. Are you motivated by winning? Do you just want everyone to have a good time?... More  →
What Type of Board Game Player Are You?

Duct Tape and Horse Tranquilizers: Surviving Thanksgiving Car Travel

By kat_rosenfieldNovember 18, 2009
With Thanksgiving just around the corner, we're about to hit the prime time of year for long, looong-distance family travel-thons. And whether your family's Turkey Day destination is across the country or just (heh heh) over the river and through the woods, chances are that... More  →
Duct Tape and Horse Tranquilizers: Surviving Thanksgiving Car Travel