Skip over navigation

A Guide to Inventing Words

By Lucy HutchinsonMay 6, 2010
Contributing new words to the English language is the hallmark of great writers and rappers alike. Shakespeare himself is credited with introducing words like "eyeballs" and "puking," while Lil Wayne blessed us with the word "bling." Every creative writer or aspiring rap star will find herself,... More  →
A Guide to Inventing Words

House to Holmes

By ContributorMay 6, 2010
Sparkler MaDDie3322 has a crush on House. That's cool, we'll take Holmes. Minus the pipe. —SparkNotes editors My favorite show is “House. " Yes, that show with the crippled doctor who figures out a way to cure his patients' unusual problems within 15 minutes... More  →
House to Holmes

Open Thread for May 6

By Emily WinterMay 6, 2010
And to the tiger in the zoo, home9310 just said, "Pooh pooh!" Send us your pics! We're at contribute@sparknotes.com.... More  →
Open Thread for May 6

Guide for New Fiction Writers

By ContributorMay 5, 2010
Just in case you end up wondering, GirlWhoWrites did not send us a cupcake with this submission. —SparkNotes editors I love writing fiction, and I'm pretty sure other Sparklers do, too. But younger Sparklers or those who've never tried to write fiction... More  →
 Guide for New Fiction Writers

My Crush is a (Hotter) Sci Fi Hero

Sparkler thereal_Ang wrote this post around the same time romancingvulcans wrote a post on the same topic. Everyone loves Han Solo, but beyond him, these two Sparkler authors have very different alien crushes. Which ones do you like the best? —SparkNotes... More  →
My Crush is a (Hotter) Sci Fi Hero

New Series Alert: The SparkNotes Scoop

By Chelsea DaggerMay 5, 2010
You’ve never been luckier, Sparklers, and here’s why: you’re about to witness the birth of a new series on SparkLife, a series so revolutionary, so spectacular, so monumentally astounding, that your life will change FOREVER. Don’t believe us? Good, because we’re mostly lying. This series... More  →
New Series Alert: The SparkNotes Scoop

Top 5 Reasons to Be a Teenage Writer

All right, that's it: Sparkler BooksndPens06 has convinced us. We want to be teenage writers. Now we just have to build a time machine that will take us back to high school... —SparkNotes Editors Have you ever wanted to write... More  →
Top 5 Reasons to Be a Teenage Writer

Auntie SparkNotes: Promalamadingdong

By kat_rosenfieldMay 5, 2010
Dear Auntie Sparknotes, I'm completely terrible at dealing with love life dilemmas. I've been crushing on one of my closest guy friends for a while now. We've gotten a lot closer this year, so of course, I fell for him. I don't know how, but about... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Promalamadingdong

Stock Characters At Your Local Convenience Store

By Jon_SkindzierMay 5, 2010
Convenience stores have a unique business philosophy, which is basically to charge 50 bucks for milk because they're located right there, wherever "right there" is for you, because store owners know that walking too much makes everyone grumpy. As such, convenience stores are often full... More  →
Stock Characters At Your Local Convenience Store

Awesome Thing of the Week

By Chelsea DaggerMay 5, 2010
Oh, SNAP. Last week's Awesome Thing scored an incredible 8.216 on the venerable Scale of Awesomeness, which ain't none too shabby. But despite its undeniable epic-ness, not all of you were satisfied. Some of you even thought we were slacking off.... More  →
Awesome Thing of the Week