Skip over navigation

Open Thread for March 9

By Emily WinterMarch 9, 2010
Would a gummybeararmygeneral wear ballet shoes to battle? We think so. That's random thought No. 1 for today's open thread. Take it away, Sparklers!... More  →
Open Thread for March 9

Cute Thing of the Week

By Emily WinterMarch 8, 2010
This week in Cute Thing news: Did you know eating rabbits is trendy? We've been reading a lot about rabbit-gobbling, and we'd like to say something about it. THIS: Sparkler kaira78 sent us that video, and we think it represents our stance... More  →
Cute Thing of the Week

A Hollywood Guide to High School Principals

By Katie_RolnickMarch 8, 2010
Principals are like the Sasquatches of high school: They're mysterious, intimidating, and over seven feet tall (okay, maybe your principal isn't seven feet tall). But the truth is that most principals fit a specific type. And just like they've done with zombies, More  →
A Hollywood Guide to High School Principals

Other Oscars

By Robert IsenbergMarch 8, 2010
In the middle of the Academy Awards, you may have wondered: Why are they nicknamed "The Oscars"? As it turns out, nobody is quite sure. There are two major theories, and neither of them are very interesting. Luckily, that little Art Deco statuette isn't... More  →
Other Oscars

Panic! At the Computer

By ContributorMarch 8, 2010
LadySunshine3 knows all too well that computer meltdowns are THE WORST! —SparkNotes editors If you're like me, your computer is your life. To a true Sparkler, the worst thing that could ever happen is watching your computer die right before you can comment on... More  →
Panic! At the Computer

Auntie SparkNotes: Rock-Climbing and Miming

By kat_rosenfieldMarch 8, 2010
Dear Auntie Sparknotes: The reason I'm writing is because I have a parent issue. You see, I'm a good behaved kid most of the time. I don't go to parties, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I play video games only during vacations and I tend... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Rock-Climbing and Miming

My Crush Isn't Very Famous

By ContributorMarch 8, 2010
From anime characters to cartoons to dead people, Sparklers have a crush on pretty much everyone. everestgirl has a thing for not-so-famous celebs. We can't blame her—they're easier to stalk. —SparkNotes editors If you're anything like me, you've spent many late night hours gossiping... More  →
My Crush Isn't Very Famous

How to Defuse A Rumor Bomb

By Kathryn_WilliamsMarch 8, 2010
Have you seen The Hurt Locker? It's only like the Best Picture of 2009. It's about a team of U.S. soldiers in Iraq whose job it is to defuse IEDs (improvised explosive devices). It's some crazy shift, y'all. A great movie. And if... More  →
How to Defuse A Rumor Bomb

Open Thread for March 8

By Emily WinterMarch 8, 2010
Sparklers: If you ever live in New York, and you're riding on the subway, and you see a pleasant-looking 20-something carrying a huge purse that must have water bottle inside because water is gushing out all over the train car floor, and you can just... More  →
Open Thread for March 8

Open Thread for March 7

By EmmaMarch 7, 2010
Everyone's saying mean things about Rush Limbaugh's apartment, which he's selling for $13.95 million. We get that he has terrible taste, but... We love the murals. It's a secret, shameful love, like the kind we feel for Kraft singles, Tool Academy,... More  →
Open Thread for March 7