Skip over navigation

The "Great" Things About Detention

By Kia WoodDecember 16, 2009
Have you ever had a detention? Okay, maybe not you, but perhaps you have a “friend” who thought it’d be funny to TP the biology sub’s Toyota? Then you (or your "friend") know that while detention tends to contain some legitimately bad characters, a lot... More  →
The

What's Your Favorite Everything of '09?

By Emily WinterDecember 15, 2009
Right now, all of your SparkNotes editors and writers are huddled up around a computer, arguing about the top everything of 2009. (...And someone has pizza breath.) The way this conversation's going, we'll be holed up here for days, and we really need your input. What... More  →
What's Your Favorite Everything of '09?

My Rules of Texting

By ContributorDecember 15, 2009
The following post is by Taarryynn77, a Sparkler with fantabulous textiquette! —SparkNotes editors Texting has taken the world by a storm. It's an invention that has made unnecessary, awkward telephone conversations disappear, given us a way to pass the time during Algebra, and allowed... More  →
My Rules of Texting

What to Expect on the Day Before Break

By Katie_RolnickDecember 15, 2009
The holiday break is sooooo close. And as you know, the last day of classes before break won't be an ordinary day. Some teachers blow it off, some plan "special activities," and some insist on being real Scrooges by giving students actual work. You need... More  →
What to Expect on the Day Before Break

The School Commute

By Jon_SkindzierDecember 15, 2009
Much of human existence is spent traveling from Point A to Point B. Or, as is often the case in high school, trudging in the freezing rain from Point A to Point C, where you await a clunky, falling-apart bus with an ornery driver who... More  →
The School Commute

Manta Claus, and Other Lesser-Known Spirits of Christmas

By kat_rosenfieldDecember 15, 2009
If you know anything about Christmas lore, you've probably learned by now that countries and cultures around the world have their own version of Santa Claus—that jolly, fat, chimney-navigating fellow with a red coat and a knack for giving great gifts to complete strangers. And... More  →
Manta Claus, and Other Lesser-Known Spirits of Christmas

Dagger University: Give Me My First Choice or Give Me Death

By Chelsea DaggerDecember 15, 2009
Howdy, Chelsea Dagger! I'm a senior in high school, and I've been applying to colleges and now I'm hearing back from them. I applied to 3 schools, all good women's colleges in New England. My top choice was a fancy-shmancy school in Massachusetts that we'll call... More  →
Dagger University: Give Me My First Choice or Give Me Death

Auntie SparkNotes: My Boyfriend Is a Pirate

By kat_rosenfieldDecember 15, 2009
Not only is this highly interesting problem, but our letter-writer promised to send spicy Mexican chocolate if I answered her question. Heyo! Dear Auntie Sparknotes, I have a problem with my boyfriend: he's a pirate. A cyber pirate, I guess the term is. And it's not even so... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: My Boyfriend Is a Pirate

The Diary of Ashley Spencer: Keeping Up Traditions

By Ashley SpencerDecember 15, 2009
Traditions are important for keeping a family glued together, because truthfully, what else would? Family members, especially as they age, become less and less likable. But that doesn’t mean I’ve stop loving the people in my family; I just don’t really like them the... More  →
The Diary of Ashley Spencer: Keeping Up Traditions

We Know This Much Is True

By Kathryn_WilliamsDecember 14, 2009
This world of ours is confusing. Even for your brilliant SparkLife writers and editors. But while we're not sure of much, we're sure of a few things. To be precise, 24 things: 1. Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. 2. Simon Cowell cries himself to sleep every night. 3.... More  →
We Know This Much Is True