Skip over navigation
Prom

The Friday Awards

By Emily WinterJuly 30, 2010
Buzzzzzzzz zerrrrrrm PLUNK BiiiiZZZZZZZZump. Sparklerszzzzzzzzmmmbmbmp we ffllllllurrrrrg can't grind! concentrate zoom because there's CRASH construction going on in the zip! office today. So please pardon us if we BANG!!! seem distracted. Um, hey construction guys? Would you mind—yes you with the power tools, bloodshot eyes, and... More  →
The Friday Awards

Battle of the Side Dishes

By Lauren PassellJuly 30, 2010
It's a side dish smackdown! We paired popular side dishes, weighed their strengths and weaknesses, and, after weeks of sleepless nights, marathon taste tests, and interviews with philosophers, theologians, and that kid who works the drive-thru at McDonalds, we've found a clear winner. Ready? Let's... More  →
Battle of the Side Dishes

Back to School Shopping: What To Look For In A Computer

By Rachel KorowitzJuly 30, 2010
It's still a bazillion degrees outside, which makes it hard to believe that school will start up again in just a matter of weeks. Before you get back into the swing of lockers, lunch rooms, and logarithms, you'll want to set yourself up with a... More  →
Back to School Shopping: What To Look For In A Computer

How To Be a Renaissance Sparkler, Part 4: Music

By Jon_SkindzierJuly 30, 2010
This is the fourth in a series of posts that will basically make you perfect at everything by the end of the summer. If you'd prefer to fake being perfect instead, well, we'll cover that, too. Today's Topic: Music. Learning an instrument can be frustrating.... More  →
How To Be a Renaissance Sparkler, Part 4: Music

Life According to Ginger: Packing List

By ContributorJuly 30, 2010
So I’m going to gloat a little bit now. If you object to this, please avert your eyes. Ahem. Here goes. I am totally going to have my own bathroom at school next year! (I assume it will look exactly like the one in the... More  →
Life According to Ginger: Packing List

Auntie SparkNotes: The Red Scare

By kat_rosenfieldJuly 30, 2010
Oh, Auntie! Sometimes we just want to hug you through our moniters. —Sparkitors Dear Auntie, I have a bizarre and slightly embarrassing/infuriating problem. I'll try to put it delicately. My father won't let me use tampons....gah, I know. It started when I got my time of the... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: The Red Scare

What REALLY Happens in a Yoga Class

By Lucy HutchinsonJuly 30, 2010
In theory, yoga seems like the perfect non-sport for those of a less athletic persuasion. It's indoors, it's quiet and non-competitive, nobody punches anyone, and kicking, throwing, or catching are not requirements. But don't be fooled. Yoga isn't all that it seems. There's still time to... More  →
What REALLY Happens in a Yoga Class

Open Thread for July 30

By Emily WinterJuly 30, 2010
Yesterday, Pistaciosaregreat sent us a pic of one grumpy cat. TODAY, another Sparkler wants to one-up her. Meeeeeeeow! This pic of TWO GRUMPY CATS is from Princesscat_A, and it makes us wonder which Sparkler has THE MOST grumpy cats?!... More  →
Open Thread for July 30

What Not To Do When You Meet Dan Bergstein

By kat_rosenfieldJuly 29, 2010
As most of you know from playing our "Who's That Sparkitor?" guessing game last week, your SparkLife writers and editors all got together here in NYC and had a party! And while it was very exciting to finally see our fellow writers in... More  →
What Not To Do When You Meet Dan Bergstein

The Ellie Report: Don't Let Your Breakup Break You Down

By ContributorJuly 29, 2010
Ellielikespie, we could have really used this column BEFORE we went all Carrie Underwood on our ex's car. GAH. —Sparkitors It's happened to the best of us: we wake up to a world filled with puppies, rainbows, and hopeful dreams of figuring out... More  →
The Ellie Report: Don't Let Your Breakup Break You Down