Skip over navigation

Native Species in the Exam Room

By Lucy HutchinsonMay 17, 2010
The exam room is a freaky micro-environment in the high school jungle. It has a peculiar climate—cold, yet somehow sweaty—a distinct miasma of old basketballs, and a vast array of native species: The Nervous Gnawer. This kid is freaking out. He's so nervous that he spelled... More  →
Native Species in the Exam Room

Rebel's Favorite "Educational" Movies

By ContributorMay 17, 2010
rebel_of_nowhere, do you have any recommendations for a movie about a group of goofy writers who get stranded on a chic-but-overpriced island and must start a funny blog for teenagers? Cuz... —SparkNotes editors Here's the scenario: It’s Friday afternoon, your brain is running on... More  →
Rebel's Favorite

A Day in the Life of a Middle School International Student in China

We think NatalieT is an exceptionally good writer, especially for an 8th grader! —SparkNotes editors I just finished reading about Ayelet1990's day. Like her, I'm an international school student. But unlike her, I'm in 8th grade. Here's a taste of what my... More  →
A Day in the Life of a Middle School International Student in China

Life According to Ginger: Uvulas, Crayons, and Redheads

Hey Sparklers, I'm your new... weekly blogger? Mildly funny article-writer? Best friend/hero? Never mind, I don't know what I am. I'll just get right into it. You probably don't know me. Which is pretty much the point, but I'll give you a bit to go... More  →
Life According to Ginger: Uvulas, Crayons, and Redheads

Cute Thing of the Week

By Chelsea DaggerMay 17, 2010
Man, we remember swinging on the playground just like it was yesterday. That's probably because it was yesterday—we jumped the fence of the elementary school down the street and spent the day launching off the monkey bars, screaming about boogers, and cutting the line for... More  →
Cute Thing of the Week

Open Thread for May 17

By Chelsea DaggerMay 17, 2010
There's no better way to start off your Monday than to stare deep into the eyes of ESKan's pet guinea pig Doodle.We've never seen such a magnificent, noble, ferocious animal in all our lives.... More  →
Open Thread for May 17

Open Thread for May 16

By EmmaMay 16, 2010
Just when you thought Sophie and Digby couldn't get any cuter... Sophie followed Digby into beachyhorsegirlK's house. In the second pic, we assume Sophie is giving Digby a goodbye kiss before heading out to pick up bagels and lox. Happy Sunday Funday!... More  →
Open Thread for May 16

Open Thread for May 15

By EmmaMay 15, 2010
This weekend's open threads have a theme: SOPHIE AND DIGBY! You may remember this famous duo; they belong to beachyhorsegirlK, and they once starred in Cute Thing of the Week. Sophie is the goat; Digby is the dog. What's that? You want to... More  →
Open Thread for May 15

Greatest Hits from the Auntie SparkNotes Chat

By kat_rosenfieldMay 14, 2010
On Wednesday, May 12th, Auntie SparkNotes did a marathon live advice-giving chat on Facebook. She discussed crushes, family dramas, sibling rivalries, and bribes involving Mexican food. If you missed it/don't have a FB, stop crying! We've rounded up the best of the Q&A... More  →
Greatest Hits from the Auntie SparkNotes Chat

The Lost Art of Letter Writing

By ContributorMay 14, 2010
We'd love to get a letter from you, iplayharp! —Sparkitors With the fairly-recent inventions of texting, emailing, and Facebook, we are in constant communication with one another. As these contact methods gain in popularity, we are quickly losing a form of communication that has... More  →
The Lost Art of Letter Writing