Skip over navigation

The Perks of Branching Out of Your Social Group

By ContributorApril 21, 2010
becauseiminsane should change her name to becauseimhilarious. —SparkNotes editors Here's the picture: You've been hanging out with the same four kids since third grade. You're downright comfortable in your current social situation. You know who your friends are, and, more importantly, you know who... More  →
The Perks of Branching Out of Your Social Group

Announcing the Finalists in the 2nd Annual SparkNotes Yearbook Awards!

By EmmaApril 21, 2010
We're so excited we feel kinda queasy. THE YEARBOOK AWARD FINALISTS HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED! ...and VOTING STARTS TODAY! Sorry to shout, but we're really into this. We got, like, a skillion nominations. Most of them were so good. And some of them made us laugh so hard... More  →
Announcing the Finalists in the 2nd Annual SparkNotes Yearbook Awards!

A Tour of Mount Olympus

By ContributorApril 21, 2010
As a high schooler, this ed always got her Greek gods mixed up. Apparently, all she needed was Narnian_Nymph. —SparkNotes editors Welcome to Mount Olympus! My name is Chloe and I will be your tour guild. There are 12 top gods and goddesses who live... More  →
A Tour of Mount Olympus

What If Shakespearean Characters Had Common Sense?

By Robert IsenbergApril 21, 2010
Yeah, yeah, Shakespeare's brilliant and all, but his plays work because all of his characters are complete nut jobs. What would have happened if just one character had some common sense? This: [WARNING: SHAKESPEAREAN SPOILER ALERT] Romeo and Juliet A local law enforcement guy eats a donut... More  →
What If Shakespearean Characters Had Common Sense?

Auntie SparkNotes: Nice Guys Finish Last

By kat_rosenfieldApril 21, 2010
Auntie, So, (of course) there's this girl. We've been hanging out a good bit this past year, going to movies, lunch, chatting in the halls, etc. However, the majority of the year, she's been dating someone else. With each failed relationship, I try to slide myself... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Nice Guys Finish Last

How to Save Time

By Dan_BergsteinApril 21, 2010
Why are you even reading this? You should be on your way to practice, rehearsal, an after-school job, a volunteer program, a club, a group, a secret society meeting, night school, late-afternoon school, or tight-rope lessons. Yes, according to 0ur research, you... More  →
How to Save Time

Open Thread for April 21

By Emily WinterApril 21, 2010
sweetiepie94, we love the way you "S." :) And speaking of "S"...last night's Glee (we promise, no plot spoilers) was all about... "Smushing." You know... "mixing"?! You know!!! S-E-X!!! This editor watched the whole episode thinking, "I really, really hope no Sparkler is watching this with his/her parents. Because... More  →
Open Thread for April 21

The Five Types of Prom Pictures

By kat_rosenfieldApril 20, 2010
In the illustrious canon of prom night activities, nothing is quite so important as the taking of traditional photos—a time-honored practice that dates back to approximately 44 B.C., when Julius Caesar put on a formal toga, hopped in a stretch chariot, and posed with his... More  →
The Five Types of Prom Pictures

Life Before Downloadable Music

By Robert IsenbergApril 20, 2010
1851 JEBEDIAH: Why, hello, Quinn! QUINN: Greetings, Jebediah. JEBEDIAH: Say, you haven't heard that brand new song, "O! Susanna," have you? QUINN: Why, yes! I heard a barbershop quartet sing it only two years ago. Seems like yesterday. JEBEDIAH: Quite a ditty, isn't it? QUINN: And how! I surely wish I... More  →
Life Before Downloadable Music

The Worst Love Songs for Heartbroken Teens

By ContributorApril 20, 2010
We've been hearing about an impending Taylor Swift backlash. We think it starts here, with Sparkler Runxbabyxrun. —SparkNotes editors If you ever turn on the radio, you really can't avoid sappy love songs. Here are some songs that you should never listen to when... More  →
The Worst Love Songs for Heartbroken Teens