Skip over navigation

The Friday Awards

By Emily WinterJune 4, 2010
HAPPY SUMMER, Sparklers!!! Okay, technically it's not summer til June 21, but a lot of you Sparklers are already done with school, AND we've got something summery going on in the SparkNotes office—a new summer intern! Sparklers, give a warm welcome to Sarah, who helped scour... More  →
The Friday Awards

A Day in the Life of a Late-Immersion Student

By ContributorJune 4, 2010
museoftomorrow, we think being a "Frenchie" sounds cool! —Sparkitors In Canada, parents have the option of putting their children in a French Immersion Program. Being in an immersion program means that you spend about half your day in French classes or classes taught in... More  →
A Day in the Life of a Late-Immersion Student

8 Types of Facebook Profile Pictures

#3. Guilty. *hangs head in shame and refuses to look purpleeggplant4 in the eye* —Sparkitors Facebook, by definition, is a social networking sight designed to connect you with your friends and family. Facebook, in practice, is a continuous flow of status updates, cyber gossip,... More  →
8 Types of Facebook Profile Pictures

Equestrianisms: Sports Curses

equestrienne10 is our resident sports fanatic, and apparently, is also unlucky. Please stay away from the White Sox, equestrienne! —Sparkitors I don’t usually go to Wikipedia for help, but this time, I’m desperate. In the past six months, every team and athlete I follow... More  →
Equestrianisms: Sports Curses

How To Be an Indie Music Snob

Thanks for the insider info, pullingpuzzles! — Sparkitors I'll admit it: I'm a music snob. And because there have been a few articles mocking the indie-music-snob-hipster character, I thought I’d clear some things up about our lifestyle. This is the code I... More  →
How To Be an Indie Music Snob

What It's Like to Travel to...Barranquilla, Colombia

A town where people blare merengue and worship a statue of Shakira? Yes, please! Thanks for making us green with envy, cici_EZ! —Sparkitors As someone born and raised in small-town Canada, I never expected to head south. And I mean waaaay south. Yes, I... More  →
What It's Like to Travel to...Barranquilla, Colombia

How Not to Kiss

By Ashley SpencerJune 4, 2010
In the summertime, the only activity more popular than barbequing burgers is making out with cuties. The warm air, the bonfires, the ferris wheel, the firecrackers—the atmosphere makes everyone want to start their own fireworks and kiss away the summer nights. Even though you’ve seen a... More  →
How Not to Kiss

Auntie SparkNotes: Your Parents Are Doing the Bang-Bang

By kat_rosenfieldJune 4, 2010
Today we hear from a Sparkler with shockingly deviant parents. —Sparkitors Auntie, I’m a 16-year-old guy, and I’m an only child. My parents are a well-to-do couple, and they love me very much and make sure that I’m doing well in school, help me find jobs and... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Your Parents Are Doing the Bang-Bang

Open Thread for June 4

By Emily WinterJune 4, 2010
Domo Domo Domo!!! We had the 2009 Domo wall calendar and it made us so happy, twelve times. Thanks for this pic, xPurpleElephants! Send your pics to contribute@sparknotes.com.... More  →
Open Thread for June 4

June Horoscopes

By Dan_BergsteinJune 3, 2010
June is our favorite month of the year (don’t tell August), but the beginning of summer will not be pleasant for all. Read on to learn if this shall be a month of joy, sadness, or chronic sore throats. Aries (March 21 – April 19) You will... More  →
June Horoscopes