Skip over navigation

Et Tu, Computer?

By Jon_SkindzierJanuary 27, 2010
Computers are unique in the entire history of inventions, in that each and every one of them is both a miracle of productivity and a crafty disaster that wants you to fail all your classes. Whether it drives you moderately insane with its... More  →
Et Tu, Computer?

Auntie SparkNotes: Crush, the Aftermath

By kat_rosenfieldJanuary 27, 2010
It's a two-fer! Today, we've got a pair of letters about how to handle a non-starting crush. Dear Auntie SparkNotes, Last year was my freshman year at my high school, and I met a really nice senior – let's call him Jim. We talked and spent a... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Crush, the Aftermath

Questions from a SparkNotes Noob

By ContributorJanuary 27, 2010
Super Sparkler houseobsessed14 agreed to answer a few questions a newbie sent to advice@sparknotes.com. Thanks, houseobsessed14, and great questions, noob! —SparkNotes editors I recently got an email from Emily asking me to write a post for new Sparklers. The questions were originally... More  →
Questions from a SparkNotes Noob

7 Things Girls Don't Want to Hear on a First Date

By ContributorJanuary 26, 2010
Hali_10, the author of this post, was inspired by Sparkler Coffinmaker, who recently wrote a guy version of this post. Enjoy! —SparkNotes editors 1. "Is that Diet Coke?" Boys, thanks to Coffinmaker, us girls will no longer ask you how many... More  →
7 Things Girls Don't Want to Hear on a First Date

Sparkler-Recommended Fantasy Novels

We don't have too much on SparkLife about the fantasy genre (beyond HP, of course), and that's why we're so glad that avid reader and Sparkler dance4life51 decided to write this post! —SparkNotes editors What book to read? As you scan the fantasy shelves... More  →
Sparkler-Recommended Fantasy Novels

A Short Guide to Flirting on Facebook Walls

By Nate DernJanuary 26, 2010
One of the most important skills high schoolers master—or attempt to master—is flirting. It may seem silly, but as social creatures we all have an instinct to find companionship—and that starts with flirting. While in the good ol’ days most flirting happened in... More  →
A Short Guide to Flirting on Facebook Walls

My Crush Is a Literary Character, Too (Except for Dan Bergstein)

...Annnnnd our series on unattainable crushes marches on—forever! Sparkler LuckyBee22's list of literary crushes are people she's slightly embarrassed to admit are her dream guys. Though they aren't hunky celebs, we have a feeling some of you miiiiiight be able to identify with... More  →
My Crush Is a Literary Character, Too (Except for Dan Bergstein)

A Much-Too-Honest College Tour

By Robert IsenbergJanuary 26, 2010
Hi, everybody! Welcome to State University. My name is Robert, and I'll be your guide this afternoon. I'm glad it's sunny today. Actually, I'm stunned. It rains almost constantly here, and when it's not raining, you can expect sleet and hail. Sunlight is unheard of. One kid... More  →
A Much-Too-Honest College Tour

What It's Like to Live In...Cincinnati

When your editors were in high school, we hung out in the gravel pits, ate meatball subs at Alexander's Pizza, and went to Jared's house because his parents were never, ever home. (Now we live in New York, land of sandwiches, plays, ... More  →
What It's Like to Live In...Cincinnati

Auntie SparkNotes: No Brain, No Shoes, No Service

By kat_rosenfieldJanuary 26, 2010
Dear Auntie Sparknotes, I’m in my 4th year and I just saw the results of a recent college entrance test I took. I didn’t pass. Many of my classmates did. Yes, this makes me pathetic. I can’t take the test again. This makes me twice as... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: No Brain, No Shoes, No Service