Skip over navigation

A Guide for Awkward People: How to Make Friends

By ContributorApril 16, 2010
Thanks for the advice, thisistoomuch10. Hopefully none of us will have to resort to your patented "toe-fungus" icebreaker ever again.—SparkNotes editors So everyone has had those moments (or in my case, years) when they're just standing near a group of people like... More  →
A Guide for Awkward People: How to Make Friends

A Day in the Life of an International School Student in Sweden

Advanced math. Sub-zero temperatures. Swedish. The metric system!? Something tells us we wouldn't cut it at Ayelet1991's International school.—SparkNotes editors So far, I’ve read about public school students, Catholic school students, and Hebrew school students. But... More  →
A Day in the Life of an International School Student in Sweden

The Friday Awards

By Emily WinterApril 16, 2010
SparkNotes Editors Friday To Do List: -Ride a rainbow to work. -Pay for an egg and cheese sandwich in pennies, dimes, lint, and mysterious foreign currency we found in our puppet drawer (don't ask). More  →
The Friday Awards

5 Ways to Improve School Tunnels

By Dan_BergsteinApril 16, 2010
If you go to a large school made up of two or more buildings, you may have tunnels connecting those buildings. These could be underground structures, or maybe just a hallway. Tell your friends who attend a smaller school, “Yeah, we have tunnels,” and they... More  →
5 Ways to Improve School Tunnels

Movies You Might Have Missed: Fearless Females

By kat_rosenfieldApril 16, 2010
Before you were potty trained—or even born—Hollywood made some good movies. Movies You Might Have Missed is a recurring feature in which your SparkNotes editors recommend a few watchable films from the 1990s, or before, or (occasionally) after. If (like us) you've been following the career... More  →
Movies You Might Have Missed: Fearless Females

Stock Characters at the Local Laundromat

By Robert IsenbergApril 16, 2010
At some point, you will have to wash clothes in a laundromat. Even if your parents have shiny new Maytags. Even if your dorm is a suite, and you share washer-dryer combos with three roommates. Laundromats are just an occasional fact of life. And at a... More  →
Stock Characters at the Local Laundromat

Auntie SparkNotes: Not That Kind of Crazy

By kat_rosenfieldApril 16, 2010
Dear Auntie Sparknotes, I have come to you like so many other Sparklers before me, seeking your advice and wisdom. I'm in 7th grade and homeschooled, and if you came up to me and started a conversation with me I would appear perfectly normal. But... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Not That Kind of Crazy

What It's Like to Live In...Tourist-Town, North Carolina

This deadpan post is one of our all-time favorites. Thanks, jgrudzy! —SparkNotes editors I live in a small town (officially we are a city, but I still think that was a joke made by someone with an awful sense of humor) right on the... More  →
What It's Like to Live In...Tourist-Town, North Carolina

College Rejection Revenge Letters: A Big No No, with Pineapples!

By Katie_RolnickApril 16, 2010
You've heard back from all the colleges you applied to...except one. And it's the one. Then, finally, you come home and see an envelope on the kitchen table. "Oh no," you think. "It's a regular envelope, not a big package." You tear the letter... More  →
College Rejection Revenge Letters: A Big No No, with Pineapples!

Hanging Out with Jazzy: Fix Your Heart with Sticky Tape

We love Jazzy, aka villanous_mwaha, but she's evil. As an April Fool's prank earlier this month, she told us she'd lost enthusiasm for SL and was quitting her column. We totally got punk'd. *sigh* Enjoy her column, and her artwork! —SparkNotes editors

... More  →
Hanging Out with Jazzy: Fix Your Heart with Sticky Tape