Skip over navigation

Snowed in Without Power, Part 2

By ContributorMarch 1, 2010
In case you haven't looked out the window lately, there's a strong possibility of a blizzard knocking out your power, sending your home back into the dark ages. Luckily, Trini94 has expanded our previous guide to surviving (and actually enjoying)... More  →
Snowed in Without Power, Part 2

The Diary of Ashley Spencer: Getting It

By Ashley SpencerMarch 1, 2010
I've always taken solace in words. As a kid, I read books constantly. The girls in “Sweet Valley High” and “The Babysitter’s Club” were my friends when my whole school decided I was smelly. And “Goosebumps” was always there for me when I needed a... More  →
The Diary of Ashley Spencer: Getting It

What It's Like to Live In: San Antonio, Texas

By ContributorMarch 1, 2010
paint_it_black31, we think you're very lucky to live in what we like to call the Pee-Wee State. —SparkNotes editors Much like fellow Sparkler Mconn517, for my whole life I've been stuck in what is, at least my opinion, a totally... More  →
What It's Like to Live In: San Antonio, Texas

11 Things We Learned from the 2010 Winter Olympics

By Robert IsenbergMarch 1, 2010
We thought we knew everything there is to know about snowy activities: we can build snowmen, stand on our own two ice skates, and even get to our cars without falling. But the Olympics reminded us that winter activities also involve risk-taking, scandal, and intrigue... More  →
11 Things We Learned from the 2010 Winter Olympics

Auntie SparkNotes: Tweedledating

By kat_rosenfieldMarch 1, 2010
Hey Auntie Sparknotes! My sister and I are identical twins and a lot of people at school tell us that we are the most difficult pair of twins to tell apart even though we try to differentiate ourselves from each other. This is an advantage to... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Tweedledating

The 10 Rules of Writing

By Kia WoodMarch 1, 2010
Writing is like skinning a cat—there’s more than one way to do it. And in Elmore Leonard's book, The 10 Rules of Writing, all types of writers are chiming in on how they do what they do best. Their advice ranges from the... More  →
The 10 Rules of Writing

Open Thread for March 1

By Emily WinterMarch 1, 2010
A pup hiding in a pile of stuffed animals?!?! What could make a Monday brighter? Thanks, jewbiegirl, for sending this pic of your dog, Tova, when she was a puppy. Sadly, the stuffed animals didn't coexist happily with Tova forever. jewbiegirl says: Unfortunately, by the time... More  →
Open Thread for March 1

Open Thread for February 28

By EmmaFebruary 28, 2010
We're going skiing today! This is what we're wearing: * Thin wool hat * Huge blue hat with pom-pom (we cram it on top of the thin wool hat) * Long underwear and leggings * Red fleece socks with snowflake pattern * Head-to-toe canary yellow snowsuit * Purple snowboarding pants (over... More  →
Open Thread for February 28

Open Thread for February 27

By EmmaFebruary 27, 2010
These are two of Nyx_of_Night's four dogs: Argus, the big shaggy one, and Anubis, the German Shepherd puppy with the look of intense devotion in his eyes. We love Argus, especially because he looks like us (we really need to get our bangs... More  →
Open Thread for February 27

Olympic Highlights, Part 5

By ContributorFebruary 26, 2010
Sparkler equestrienne10 is the next Bob Costas. (We mean that in a good way.) Here's part 5 of her Olympics recap! —SparkNotes editors Gold standard With the future of Olympic women’s hockey in jeopardy, the Canadian team gave a compelling argument the only way... More  →
Olympic Highlights, Part 5