Skip over navigation

Movies You Might Have Missed: Bombs Away!

By kat_rosenfieldDecember 8, 2009
Before you were potty trained—or even born—Hollywood made some good movies. Movies You Might Have Missed is a recurring feature in which your SparkNotes editors recommend a few watchable films from the 1990s or before. Right now, the big trend in Hollywood is the Doomsday Movie.... More  →
Movies You Might Have Missed: Bombs Away!

How Not To Destroy Your Cell Phone

By Kia WoodDecember 7, 2009
Even though it's a bad idea, phone-throwing is wildly popular. Just ask Russell Crowe or Naomi Campbell. Heck, in Chicopee, Massachusetts, they’ve even got a whole contest dedicated to throwing phones! We have some personal experience with this. Yesterday, one of your... More  →
How Not To Destroy Your Cell Phone

Cute Thing of the Week

By Emily WinterDecember 7, 2009
The mystery of the anonymous Sparkler who sent in the adorable-est kitten video ever (even before Yahoo was raving about it) IS SOLVED! You all can thank Sparkler GoldieClayalee for sending a year's worth of cuteness in one short little clip. You guys... More  →
Cute Thing of the Week

How to Give Your Room a Makeover

By Katie_RolnickDecember 7, 2009
By the time you reach high school, you're probably ready to get rid of the animal mural your parents put up on your third birthday. Chances are, your curtains and lighting could use some "updating" too. But it's not always easy to convince... More  →
How to Give Your Room a Makeover

Better Ways to Procrastinate

By ContributorDecember 7, 2009
The moment we started editing this post by xXx_lola_xXx, The Raincoats' cover of "Lola" came on our iTunes shuffle. Weeeeeird! —SparkNotes editors There are some things you should and should not do when procrastinating. I should know—it's not like nerds are exempt... More  →
Better Ways to Procrastinate

How to Avoid Text Message Misunderstandings

By Dan_BergsteinDecember 7, 2009
Scenario: Someone sends a text message to two friends. The message reads, "I'm going to try out for the school play. Yippee!" (First, what kind of a goofball uses "Yippee"? But that's not the point.) Within seconds, both friends send a reply. First friend replies: "Good... More  →
How to Avoid Text Message Misunderstandings

Free-tail Therapy

By Julie KrautDecember 7, 2009
Did you spend all your cash on holiday gifts, and now you're not sure how you’re going to afford a social life until the start of 2010? Yeah, us too. Actually, considering the number of Snuggies we bought for friends and family, it might be... More  →
Free-tail Therapy

Auntie SparkNotes: You're Hurting Nathaniel Hawthorne's Feelings

By kat_rosenfieldDecember 7, 2009
Sometimes, things can get pretty heavy around here, what with all the heartbreak and horrible friends and evil mom-sters who just don't understand. You know what we need? A letter full of win. Oh, look. I've got one! Dear Auntie Sparknotes, I’m a member of the tv... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: You're Hurting Nathaniel Hawthorne's Feelings

How Does Fame Define Celebrities?

By Miss MarmDecember 4, 2009
A Sparkler writes: I am writing an essay about Middle Ages Literature. The problem is: I can't figure out how to address the questions "so what?" and "who cares?" to my essay. The paper is about how fame defines a character, regardless of heroic deeds (or the... More  →
How Does Fame Define Celebrities?

These Are a Few of Our Favorite Words

By Emily WinterDecember 4, 2009
Some words just make us smile… grumpy lumpy ribald underpants elated wiggle scallywag ruckus meep crusty spewing sparkler jet pack biguns liluns assmar flabbergasted antidisestablishmentarianism flying buttress tinkle marsupial spork squish squash glockenspiel pollywog dangle shimmy slog fritz pungent flops spacecraft rubbernecked jeepers huzzah facepalm headdesk Friday What are your favorite words? Related Post: The Six Word Story ... More  →
These Are a Few of Our Favorite Words