Skip over navigation

Cute Thing of the Week

By Chelsea DaggerJuly 12, 2010
'Sup, Sparklers? Have you missed Cute Thing of the Week somethin' awful? We have! We were desolate without our weekly dose of adorableness (we skipped it on July 5th because of the holiday), so we're going OVER THE TOP and giving you two photos to... More  →
Cute Thing of the Week

A Day in The Life of an IB Student in China

By ContributorJuly 12, 2010
Hannahrama bikes to school in China. We guess that's cool, but we roller skate to work in New York wearing shiny disco outfits, sooooooo... —Sparkitors I'm Canadian, but live in Suzhou, China. It's right near Shanghai, and the weather is really unpredictable.... More  →
A Day in The Life of an IB Student in China

QUIZINATOR: Attack of the Clones (aka HP Part 3)

CONFOUND IT ALL, you Sparklers are too smart for us. After taking last week’s quiz, several of you (most notably beagle48644, Libbylove22, and Elena28) discovered a fatal flaw in the answer options for Question 12—namely, that the correct answer is MISSING.... More  →
QUIZINATOR: Attack of the Clones (aka HP Part 3)

Sidestepping Summer Sibling Squabbles

By Lucy HutchinsonJuly 12, 2010
Summer break means many things: ice cream, swimming, sunburn, insects the size of lightbulbs. It also means you and your siblings are likely to be at home at the same time. Often for hours on end. When you're used to seeing your siblings only briefly... More  →
Sidestepping Summer Sibling Squabbles

Auntie SparkNotes: A Hairy Situation

By kat_rosenfieldJuly 12, 2010
Whenever someone's rude to us, we turn bright red and rush away, trying not to cry. Good thing we're not the ones giving advice around here. —Sparkitors Dear Auntie, I have a problem, and it’s a little hairy (Hah). I have very long hair, about long enough... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: A Hairy Situation

Open Thread for July 12

EMILY'S BACK! EMILY'S BACK! EMILY'S BACK FROM HONG KONNNGGGGG!! Ahem. Whatever. Like we even care. We're not even sure if Hong Kong is a real place. But assuming that it is, we think it may be in China, which is why this pic submission from ... More  →
Open Thread for July 12

Open Thread for July 11

By EmmaJuly 11, 2010
We're so hot, we feel like grumpy loaves of bread in an oven shaped like Brooklyn. So we were very excited to get this delicious cold treat from HarryPotterLoverGrL.

Hey Sparkitors!

I know that you editors at Spark Notes are probably... More  →

Open Thread for July 11

Frenemy Swirl on a Sugar Cone, Please

By Rachel KorowitzJuly 9, 2010
It'd be pretty great if every person in your life could be distilled into an ice cream flavor. Here are a few that you might find in my fridge. Frenemy Swirl: Part of this confection is ultra-sweet vanilla. The other half? Bitter, bitter chocolate laced with... More  →
Frenemy Swirl on a Sugar Cone, Please

What to Expect When You Lose a Grandparent

By ContributorJuly 9, 2010
Thanks for the insight and advice, xXx_lola_xXx! —Sparkitors This post means a lot to me. Several months ago, I lost my grandmother, and decided to write about what you can expect to feel when a grandparent dies. I realize that not everyone... More  →
What to Expect When You Lose a Grandparent

The Friday Awards

By Chelsea DaggerJuly 9, 2010
Here's the dirt, Sparklers: Emily, being the heartless cad that she is, has temporarily abandoned us for the far more exciting and exotic locale of Hong Kong, and she is currently rubbing elbows with the Dali Lama (literally, not figuratively) while we slave away at... More  →
The Friday Awards