Skip over navigation

Open Thread for January 9

By EmmaJanuary 9, 2011
Hello, I'd like to submit this photo of my dog Ronnie. Before you think "Ew gross, what IS that?" I'd like to explain why he's awesome. Firstly, he survived on the streets for two years, despite being so stupid that he won't see a piece of... More  →
Open Thread for January 9

Open Thread for January 8

By EmmaJanuary 8, 2011
If your Sparkitors were dogs, we would look just like Missy: grumpy, snowy, yet somehow still wildly attractive. Thanks for the cute pic, Buttercuprevenge! Send your adorable photographs to contribute@sparknotes.com for possible publication on an open thread!... More  →
Open Thread for January 8

The Daily Trials of an English Major: Surviving Winter Break

By ContributorJanuary 7, 2011
The monotonous tick-tock of the clock marks the remaining seconds as you rush to finish the last eloquent sentence of that tedious last essay on your final final exam. You dot the last period, dramatically close your exam booklet, triumphantly hand your work to the... More  →
The Daily Trials of an English Major: Surviving Winter Break

Choose Your Sparkler Post Badge: Round 1E

By Jennifer GrudzieckiJanuary 7, 2011
And the winner of Round 1D is....Badge #15! You'll all get to see it again whenever we finally get to Round 2. And congratulations to all the other Sparklers with badges in the last round, great job you guys. And for the rest of you Sparklers,... More  →
Choose Your Sparkler Post Badge: Round 1E

What's Your Spirit Animal?

By Rachel KorowitzJanuary 7, 2011
Oh, hey there, friend. What with these clouds of patchouli incense and all these musty hand-woven wall hangings, I almost didn't see you there. But please, enter, and welcome to my Enclave of Peace and Understand-ery (TM). Whoa—I'm feeling some really strong vibes coming from you.... More  →
What's Your Spirit Animal?

How to Talk Like a Bay Area Native

ladybug8893 wants to help you go incognito as a real live San Franciscan. Are we saying that right? –Sparkitors In case you didn’t know, the San Francisco Bay Area is the COOLEST PLACE IN THE WHOLE WORLD. Amazing food, spunky culture, our own musical movement,... More  →
How to Talk Like a Bay Area Native

SparkStyle: I Snagged a Sweater

By kat_rosenfieldJanuary 7, 2011
Every January, Urban Outfitters has a spectacular sale on its website—one in which various cold-weather and wintry items are reduced to ridiculously low prices in order to make way for the incoming spring collection. And in completely unrelated news: every January, I blow nearly all the... More  →
SparkStyle: I Snagged a Sweater

8 Reasons Long Nails Are a Bad Idea

Anggik asks that you pick up some nail clippers and stop the madness. –Sparkitors There are a lot of reasons you should keep your nails clipped, filed, and out of your way, but the most important ones have got to be: 1. There are only... More  →
8 Reasons Long Nails Are a Bad Idea

How to Make Killer Spaghetti Bolognese

We hereby invite SocksAreFun over for dinner. But we're not doing the cookin'. —Sparkitors Spag Bol is the food of the pasta Gods. Its a miracle dish. You know why? Because it tastes awesome the day after you cooked it, after sitting in the... More  →
How to Make Killer Spaghetti Bolognese

Life According to Ginger: Some Assistance, Please

Happy Post-Holiday daze! I hope you are all well rested (or not, depending on how you like your New Year’s Eves), well fed (or not, depending on your New Year's resolutions), and ready to get back to school (or not, depending on how long your... More  →
Life According to Ginger: Some Assistance, Please