Skip over navigation

How to Survive a Group Dissection

By ElodieDecember 1, 2011
Dissecting animals in class is cool. Dissecting animals when you’re forced to do it with strange classmates you can barely tolerate, however, is not cool. Your teacher will announce that you’re starting the cat/frog/pig/antelope dissection, and you will immediately whip around to goggle excitedly at... More  →
How to Survive a Group Dissection

Eavesdrop While the Sparkitors Discuss Cute Presents

By EmmaDecember 1, 2011
All this month, we're celebrating CUTE CHRISTMAS on SparkLife! HOW JOLLY! —Sparkitors Chelsea: CUTE CHRISTMASTIME IS HERE! Emma: what are the cutest presents you've ever gotten???? Emily: i got a cute present today! Chelsea: YOU DID?! Emily: a... More  →
Eavesdrop While the Sparkitors Discuss Cute Presents

Ask a Teacher: What Happens If I Don't Get Into the College I Want? (Part 1)

By Mr. TocheDecember 1, 2011
Q: What happens if I don't get into the college I want? A: Application deadlines are at hand, and you might wonder what happens if you don't get into the school you want. Here's what you'll want to do: Sell all your possessions, don sackcloth and... More  →
Ask a Teacher: What Happens If I Don't Get Into the College I Want? (Part 1)

How to Make Your Band Uniform Less Awkward

By ContributorNovember 30, 2011
MillyMellophone doesn't want you to look like a dweeb while you're toting that sousaphone around. Here's how to march it out with style.—Sparkitors From the ill-fitting uniform to the mortifyingly gooney plume, high school marching band is essentially one... More  →
How to Make Your Band Uniform Less Awkward

Girls Should Make the First Move!

This Mankler has a bone to pick with his lady friends.  —Sparkitors I feel like most girls (at least ones I know) follow the old-fashioned rule that a guy has to make the first move. And this has been a problem for me in almost every... More  →
Girls Should Make the First Move!

Chelsea Dagger's Favorite Teen Novels

By Chelsea DaggerNovember 30, 2011
Is there anything better than sinking into a hamburger-shaped bean bag chair and opening a book you love? NOPE. Because the best thing in the world—bacon-covered foodstuffs and Joseph Gordon-Levitt aside—is finding a book that we truly connect with, a book that's always... More  →
Chelsea Dagger's Favorite Teen Novels

Turkey Time and Texting

This week, Faye makes one of the smartest observations about graduating from high school and moving on that we've ever heard. Why didn't we think of putting it this way? —Sparkitors The scene: Downtown of a nondescript city. It’s Christmastime and the streets are... More  →
Turkey Time and Texting

The Hit List: House of Heroes

Metalhead's back to doing what he does best: music reviews!—Sparkitors Queen. The Beatles. The Foo Fighters. Springsteen. The Clash. Muse. And Broadway musicals. Throw them all in a blender, and what do you get? Five guys from Columbus, Ohio, making fun, yet thought-provoking rock... More  →
The Hit List: House of Heroes

Ask a Teacher: Why Aren't Letter Grade Percents More Reasonable?

By Mr. JungNovember 30, 2011
A reader recently posed another excellent grading-related question, which I snatched it up like a crazy Black Friday shopper. The question in question was, why are grading scales organized with ten percentage points between full-letter grades (A = 90-100, B = 80-90, etc.), until the... More  →
Ask a Teacher: Why Aren't Letter Grade Percents More Reasonable?

Math: The Bane of My Existence

carrieaimelire, we hereby appoint you Ambassador of the Society of Butts Against Math. Your badge is in the mail.—Sparkitors As with pants, math and I are not friends, compatriots, chums, mates, or consorts. We are not bros. And we are not homies either. I... More  →
Math: The Bane of My Existence