Skip over navigation

Listen Up: This is Your Literary Pep Talk

By ContributorSeptember 12, 2011
We can't tell for sure, but we THINK Rafikiwock may have insulted us in his first paragraph. Buttever. We can take the heat.—Sparkitors Hey you! Yeah, you! The zoned-out teenager staring glossy-eyed at your computer monitor!... More  →
Listen Up: This is Your Literary Pep Talk

My Chemical Romance: They ARE Okay (Despite Their Misleading Song Titles)

By ContributorSeptember 12, 2011
Metalhead865 is full of surprises; we had no idea he liked this band!—Sparkitors You wouldn't expect someone like me to like My Chemical Romance. I like alternative rock and hard rock, so me liking an emo band like MCR is a tough vision for... More  →
My Chemical Romance: They ARE Okay (Despite Their Misleading Song Titles)

My First Week at College: Conquering the Bathrooms and Crushin' on Calvin!

By ElodieSeptember 12, 2011
Having just hit the one-week mark of my freshman year of college (I feel like a champion), I shall now tell you all about the goodbye, the cafeteria situation, the showers, the roommate, the classes, the party, the toilets, and the squirrels. Oh, yes—the squirrels. 1.... More  →
My First Week at College: Conquering the Bathrooms and Crushin' on Calvin!

Are You Panicking? A Quiz.

By Lucy HutchinsonSeptember 12, 2011
There are so many things to worry about these days; parking tickets, cavities, hybrid bears taking over the world, not getting a good job when you graduate and having to be a babysitter forever, and the Johnson kids will grow up and be... More  →
Are You Panicking? A Quiz.

Open Thread for September 12

By Chelsea DaggerSeptember 12, 2011
We've never really understood the appeal behind Tom Waits—so we're going to let Allison explain. This is Tom Waits. He is kind of old, but if he wasn't, I would marry him. He's a songwriter...who is amazing. Say what you want about... More  →
Open Thread for September 12

Dealing With a Backhanded Compliment

By Rachel KorowitzSeptember 9, 2011
Life is a lot smoother if you master a few social tricks—the helpful little shortcuts humankind uses to keep things flowing. These skillz can save face and keep your ego intact, so use them wisely, and become the social ninja you're destined to be.... More  →
Dealing With a Backhanded Compliment

Help This Sparkler With Her College Application Essay: In-between-dia!

By ContributorSeptember 9, 2011

starstruckme's family moved from America to India in 2004. This is essay about her split childhood is for the diversity prompt on the Common Application. Can you help her edit it?  —Sparkitors

In-between-dia

‘India’ begins with the descent down the stairs leading... More  →
Help This Sparkler With Her College Application Essay: In-between-dia!

The Tenth Anniversary of 9/11

By ContributorSeptember 9, 2011
llamagirl6's post makes us feel sad and proud at the same time. How do you feel? —Sparkitors 9/11, the tragedy that shocked our nation ten years ago: we will be commemorating the event this week. No one would argue that this disaster... More  →
The Tenth Anniversary of 9/11

How To Deal with Political Conversations

By Jon_SkindzierSeptember 8, 2011
Political conversations are like pterodactyls; you can't escape them, so you'd better just learn how to deal with them. It would be nice if the same solution (clawing at the sky and exclaiming "I am a tyrannosaurus") worked for both situations, but... More  →
How To Deal with Political Conversations

Dormitory Quesadillas

By ShivaniSeptember 8, 2011
It’s been barely two weeks and I’m already sick of dorm food, fast food, and snack food. My roommate, on the other hand, is sick of the fact that I’ve been playing the same song, on a loop, for the past four days (the song... More  →
Dormitory Quesadillas