Skip over navigation

Ask a Teacher: Why Aren't Letter Grade Percents More Reasonable?

By Mr. JungNovember 30, 2011
A reader recently posed another excellent grading-related question, which I snatched it up like a crazy Black Friday shopper. The question in question was, why are grading scales organized with ten percentage points between full-letter grades (A = 90-100, B = 80-90, etc.), until the... More  →
Ask a Teacher: Why Aren't Letter Grade Percents More Reasonable?

Math: The Bane of My Existence

By ContributorNovember 30, 2011
carrieaimelire, we hereby appoint you Ambassador of the Society of Butts Against Math. Your badge is in the mail.—Sparkitors As with pants, math and I are not friends, compatriots, chums, mates, or consorts. We are not bros. And we are not homies either. I... More  →
Math: The Bane of My Existence

7 Reasons to Love Calculus

By ContributorNovember 29, 2011
All_Is_Mal is making us regret wimping out after Algebra II! —Sparkitors This year, I’m taking AP Calculus BC, which involves ninety minutes of calculus class every day, and it’s one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. That sounds dramatic and over-exaggerated, but calculus has... More  →
7 Reasons to Love Calculus

How to Tie a Tie: The (In)Comprehensive Guide

flyergirl13 is just as good at tying ties as she is at surviving a fight with a zombie. Which is to say, not very good.—Sparkitors I decided to tackle this tough subject because it is the most-searched... More  →
How to Tie a Tie: The (In)Comprehensive Guide

Tips For Next Year's NaNoWriMo, From a Winner!

Dumblydorr's coming down the home stretch with HOW many words?! —Sparkitors Hello again, Sparklies! We're nearing the home stretch. How do you feel? Have you been writing... More  →
Tips For Next Year's NaNoWriMo, From a Winner!

Why High School Dances Are Terrible

Something tells us Charlotteness isn't counting down the days til prom. —Sparkitors High school dances suck. They always have sucked, they suck for almost everybody, and they will most likely continue to suck. Here's why. 1. The hype Most dances get framed by the drama/rumor/hype mill... More  →
Why High School Dances Are Terrible

Ginger's Black Friday Diary

This Thanksgiving was... different, to say the least. Not only did I not go home, but I didn't eat a Thanksgiving dinner, I didn't watch the Packers game, and I didn't spend the next day and a half in a food-induced coma. Instead, I ate... More  →
Ginger's Black Friday Diary

WANTED: Indestructible Deodorant And Draco Malfoy as My Forever Buddy

By Chelsea DaggerNovember 29, 2011
Can you even IMAGINE what the world would be like if I possessed not only a magic stick of antiperspirant, but also a magic BOYFRIEND? I would surely become the greatest wizard ever to exist, and my reign of cupcakes and terror would not soon... More  →
WANTED: Indestructible Deodorant And Draco Malfoy as My Forever Buddy

How to Make SparkLife a Site You Love

kim1412, you took the words right out of our mouths. Unfortunately, you also took the doughnuts. We'd really like those back.—Sparkitors Hi! It’s me, your favorite newbie Sparkler, kim1412! Most of you have read newyorksmabbie’s message to... More  →
How to Make SparkLife a Site You Love

Open Thread for November 29

By SparkLifeNovember 29, 2011
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SUCH AN ADORABLE FACE IN ALL YOUR LIFE? This is my parents' puppy, Rosie, the greatest lapdog in the world. Sure, she smells worse than a soggy bag of old Doritos, but that doesn't stop us from hugging the heck out... More  →
Open Thread for November 29