Skip over navigation

Everything You Need to Know Mix

Everything You Need to Know Mix

By Matt_Hunziker

It’s not hard to make a study mix—just figure out what kind of music you find calming, whether that’s Enya or Slayer (the best mix would probably have both), and then pack enough of those songs onto a CD or MP3 player to get you through To Kill a Mockingbird.

But what if you could make a mix where the songs themselves did the teaching? Turns out there’s enough collected wisdom in the history of pop music to get you through an American history final or an English paper. All you need to do is find it. So grab a pen and paper (and a pair of headphones) and get cracking. We’ve got a few suggestions of our own to get you started:

Grammar

Los Campesinos! — “Knee Deep at ATP”

“And every sentence that I wrote began and ended in ellip…ses. Each of eight fingers gripping what he wrote clung on tightly (like parentheses).“

Not many bands show such a keen grasp of punctuation in times of heartbreak.

Theology

The Hold Steady — “Cattle & the Creeping Things”

“Yeah, I guess I heard about original sin. I heard the dude blamed the chick and I heard the chick blamed the snake. And I heard they were naked when they got busted. And I heard things haven’t been the same since.”

The book of Genesis in 50 words or less.

The Scientific Method

Beastie Boys — “The Sounds of Science”

“I’ve got science for any occasion. Postulating theorems, formulating equations.”

Also a good source for information on the Bill of Rights as it relates to partying.

U.S. History

Gordon Lightfoot — “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”

“The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee”

Needless to say, any song that teaches you a second language is worth bonus points.

Arithmetic

Ozma — “Apple Trees”

“Take a number like 5, times 10, times 10 again. 500 miles of apple orchards to defend.”

Okay, you already knew that, but it’s a pretty good song nevertheless.

What’s going on your mix? Know of a song that covers the Crimean War or Differential Calculus? Share it below!

Topics: Music, Celebs & Stuff
Tags: music mixes

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Matt_Hunziker

Piscetarian

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.