Skip over navigation

What Do You Think of Video SparkNotes?

By Emily WinterOctober 29, 2009
Hey Sparklers, On Wednesday, we officially launched our first-ever Video SparkNote, on our site and on our YouTube channel. It's for George Orwell's 1984. As of today, it's the only Video SparkNote that exists in the world, and the Video SparkNote isn't the... More  →
What Do You Think of Video SparkNotes?

Classic Poetry: Can You Hit On People With It?

By Jon_SkindzierOctober 29, 2009
For as long as we've been good enough with language to make poetry out of it, we've been using that poetry to hit on each other. For every landmark work about wars and tragedy, there's one about pretty ladies. And often the ones about wars... More  →
Classic Poetry: Can You Hit On People With It?

Blogging Lord of the Flies, Chapter 2: Fire on the Mountain

By Jon_SkindzierOctober 28, 2009
Jon is blogging Lord of the Flies! Did you miss the first installment? Here it is. Chapter 2 begins with Ralph holding a meeting back on the beach, shortly after the non-piglet-killing expedition to the mountain. Surrounded by the now mostly-dressed children, Ralph reveals... More  →
Blogging Lord of the Flies, Chapter 2: Fire on the Mountain

Blogging The Scarlet Letter: Part 11 (Chapters 21 and 22)

By RamseyOctober 23, 2009
Ramsey is reading The Scarlet Letter and blogging about his experiences. Catch up on past posts here. Chapter 21 – The New England Holiday I knew from the last chapter that there was a state holiday coming up, but I keep thinking Hawthorne is... More  →
Blogging The Scarlet Letter: Part 11 (Chapters 21 and 22)

Blogging Lord of the Flies, Chapter 1: The Sound of the Shell

By Jon_SkindzierOctober 22, 2009
You asked us to blog Lord of the Flies; your wish is our command. Enjoy! —SparkNotes editors Lord of the Flies is a novel by Englishman William Golding. It was published in 1954, which explains why the kids in the book wear stockings and periodically blurt... More  →
Blogging Lord of the Flies, Chapter 1: The Sound of the Shell

Modern vs. Classic Literature

By ContributorOctober 22, 2009
Sparkler CoffinMaker has been hard at work on this cool post about modern vs. classic lit. Enjoy! —SparkNotes editors I was part of the comments debate on the post So You Don’t Want to Read ____, and it got me thinking about... More  →
Modern vs. Classic Literature

Gear Up for National Novel Writing Month!

By ContributorOctober 19, 2009
Sparkler happyhostage reminds us that the annual NaNoWriMo starts in just 13 days! —SparkNotes editors Here’s an idea, Sparklers: why don’t we all try NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)? Those of you who know what I’m talking about are probably already arranging for my ride... More  →
Gear Up for National Novel Writing Month!

Blogging the Scarlet Letter: Part 10 (Chapters 19 and 20)

By RamseyOctober 16, 2009
Ramsey is reading The Scarlet Letter and blogging about his experiences. Past posts are collected here. Chapter 19 – The Child at Brook-Side Before we move forward with The Scarlet Letter, the book nerd in me needs to point out that the title of this... More  →
Blogging the Scarlet Letter: Part 10 (Chapters 19 and 20)

How Fast Do You Read?

By Dan_BergsteinOctober 15, 2009
A while back, when we applauded people with the ability to read two books at the same time, we were shocked to learn from the comments that many of you tackle five or more books at once! Now we're turning out attention to speed... More  →
How Fast Do You Read?

Shakespeare Was a Red Bull-Swilling Time Traveler Aided by Elves

By Kathryn_WilliamsOctober 14, 2009
Cue the Law & Order doink doink sound, because the mystery that is the Bard of all bards has been solved—or so says HuffPo. If you've ever felt grossly inadequate while pondering the fact that William Shakespeare (allegedly) penned 37 plays, 154... More  →
Shakespeare Was a Red Bull-Swilling Time Traveler Aided by Elves