Search Menu
Menu

We Get It, Life In the Hood is Tougher Than Calculus: The Top 5 Mistakes That Black YA Novels Make

By ContributorFebruary 29, 2012
dac213 tackles a tough subject with some major insight!--Sparkitors Let’s face it; there aren’t a lot of YA novels out there with protagonists who are of African descent. If the protag isn’t white, they’re purposefully ambiguous, and if the protag’s black, 90% of... More  →
We Get It, Life In the Hood is Tougher Than Calculus: The Top 5 Mistakes That Black YA Novels Make

Popular Childrens' Authors: Where Are They Now?

By Eric GarneauFebruary 28, 2012
As we announced Thursday, mega-popular Harry Potter author JK Rowling has finally let slip news of her first novel in a post-Hogwarts world. Unfortunately, no one really knows what it's going to be about! (Well, probably she does, and maybe her agent and publisher,... More  →
Popular Childrens' Authors: Where Are They Now?

Dennis is Dead (But Writer Wars Lives On)

By Chelsea DaggerFebruary 28, 2012
Sorry for the delay in this week's post, butts; as some of you know, I accidentally destroyed the internet yesterday and spent several sweat-soaked hours in the SparkLife tech department trying to rescue my water-logged keyboard from death. Alas, Dennis (Dennis is what... More  →
Dennis is Dead (But Writer Wars Lives On)

Fictional Characters Who Should've Died

By Jennifer GrudzieckiFebruary 28, 2012
Love 'em or hate 'em, there are just some fictional characters who should've dropped into the fictional afterlife...but didn't. There's nothing we admire more in an author than the ability to kill off the right characters and keep them dead.(George R. R. Martin, we're looking... More  →
Fictional Characters Who Should've Died

Dear Albert: Book on Head

By Emily WinterFebruary 24, 2012
“Anna is so brave,” I say, with perhaps too much admiration in my voice. Me and Braden are alone in the newspaper room with Anna’s letter. I love that she wrote it, but I keep staring at it like it’s a dead body. “Bravery is an... More  →
Dear Albert: Book on Head

The Coolest Fictional Black Characters

By ContributorFebruary 24, 2012
dac213 shouts out the characters who make black nerds proud! —Sparkitors There's a little more to the month of February than cold weather, love, and prom preparation: namely, Black History Month. In honor of that, I’d like to present this list of the bravest, coolest, smartest,... More  →
The Coolest Fictional Black Characters

Why I Fell in Love with The Great Gatsby

By ContributorFebruary 24, 2012
DinatheDinasaur didn't expect to like this literary legend; read on to find out what made her change her mind!–Sparkitors Everyone looks at The Great Gatsby as just another typical American novel thrown into the high... More  →
Why I Fell in Love with The Great Gatsby

What Will JK Rowling's Next Book Be About?

By Dan_BergsteinFebruary 23, 2012
By now you’ve heard that JK Rowling has a deal to write a new book. Instead of throwing her words at the YA crowd, her next novel will be aimed at adults. A grown up Harry Potter? Maybe. A sexy Harry Potter? Probably... More  →
What Will JK Rowling's Next Book Be About?

The Worst Fictional Significant Others

By Melissa AlbertFebruary 23, 2012
With Valentine's Day in the rear view, you're off the hook for state-mandated romance for a whole year! What better time to offload a dangerous, jerky, or otherwise undesirable SO? For inspiration, here's a gallery of some of the worst romantic partners... More  →
The Worst Fictional Significant Others

Heyo, Residents of Girl Land: What's Your Opinion?

By Chrissie GruebelFebruary 21, 2012
The latest release from controversial author Caitlin Flanagan is out—and the subject is YOU. Chrissie gets her reviewin' boots on and breaks the book down, one outdated Seventeen reference at a... More  →
Heyo, Residents of Girl Land: What's Your Opinion?