Search Menu
Menu

7 Fictional Characters We'd Love to Take to Homecoming

By Abbey ClarkeSeptember 17, 2013
Homecoming weekend is just around the corner, which means it’s time for mascots, cheers, and creative uses of face paint. It's also the perfect opportunity to plan some highly nonfictional dates with your favorite fictional men. Your tastes may differ from ours, but these guys... More  →
7 Fictional Characters We'd Love to Take to Homecoming

Dead Author Interviews: Lewis Carroll

By Rebecca Jane StokesSeptember 17, 2013
On a quest to better understand the literary greats, I decided to build a time machine, expressly intended to transport me to 19th-century England. There, I would do my best to secure an interview with the reticent Reverend Charles Dodgson, better known as Lewis Carroll.... More  →
Dead Author Interviews: Lewis Carroll

The Argument Against "Strong Female Characters" (And 4 Characters that Break the Mold)

By Melissa AlbertSeptember 16, 2013
Think about it: have you ever once heard a male character being described as "feisty"? How about sassy? Has a book or film reviewer ever rushed to assure you that a male character isn't your average "dude in distress"? We're betting the answer is... More  →
The Argument Against "Strong Female Characters" (And 4 Characters that Break the Mold)

J.K. Rowling Is Writing a Harry Potter Spin-off Movie!!!

By Jennifer GrudzieckiSeptember 12, 2013
Sparklers, we are basically hyperventilating right now. BECAUSE J.K. ROWLING IS OFFICIALLY WRITING A NEW HARRY POTTER-RELATED THING. Yep. You read that right. We're going to get MORE of the wonderful wizarding world of Harry Potter! Rowling is writing a screenplay for a new... More  →
J.K. Rowling Is Writing a Harry Potter Spin-off Movie!!!

5 Book-Inspired Fall Shows We Can't Wait to Watch

By Melissa AlbertSeptember 11, 2013
We hope Hollywood and the TV industry never stop stealing from literature to dream up shows. For every total misfire ($#*! My Dad Says), there's a creative slam-dunk (True Blood). And for every straight ahead adaptation, there's an insane, what-were-they-thinking reimagining...that just might defy the... More  →
5 Book-Inspired Fall Shows We Can't Wait to Watch

The Worst Teachers in Fiction

By Melissa AlbertSeptember 11, 2013
By now you're probably back in school, settling into a routine, learning the best hallway routes for crush-stalking purposes, and trying to figure out which of your teachers has the scariest bad side. But take heart: no matter how nutty your teachers are, we bet... More  →
The Worst Teachers in Fiction

Writer Wars Winner: "The Love Thief" by Briar_Rose_Unwritten!

By reidfaylorSeptember 10, 2013
Congrats to Briar_Rose_Unwritten, who earned 18 votes and last week's Sparklers' Choice Award with her tearjerking poem about a unique version of the perfect crime—stealing someone's heart. Click through the slideshow to read her entire story, accompanied by Reid Faylor's More  →
Writer Wars Winner: "The Love Thief" by Briar_Rose_Unwritten!

Writer Wars: Dangerous Minds

By Chelsea DaggerSeptember 10, 2013
If last week's submissions are any indication, you butts have the potential be frighteningly good at all things murder-related. Now THAT'S something to put on your college application! Briar_Rose_Unwritten earned the Sparklers' Choice Award for her unexpected take on the per More  →
Writer Wars: Dangerous Minds

19 New Books That We're Psyched About!

By Abbey ClarkeSeptember 6, 2013
It may be time to sigh your way through your new school textbooks (or your old, scribbled-in, borrowed school textbooks), but you can take heart in remembering this: there are fun books out there, too! We’ve put together a list of our favorite hot-off-the-presses books... More  →
19 New Books That We're Psyched About!