Menu

The Worst (Imaginary) Novel Openings

By Rachel KorowitzJanuary 19, 2012
I spent my teens slogging through Gravity's Rainbow and Ulysses and translating Caesar's infinity-length ramblings, so if an author doesn't grab me inside of the first few words, I'm out. Gone. Stick a fork in me, 'cause I ain't readin'... More  →
The Worst (Imaginary) Novel Openings

Are English Classes Totally Worthless?

By ContributorJanuary 19, 2012
SirAlecoftheIntegral makes a bold claim, but can he back up his big talk? (We're really into the phrase "big talk" right now.)—Sparkitors I recently read a SparkLife post all about the Glorious Classics, and I couldn’t help but think how... More  →
Are English Classes Totally Worthless?

The Books that Came BEFORE Our Favorites: An IB Geek's List of Classics!

By ContributorJanuary 18, 2012
IBfreefromhomework would like to direct your attention to the novels that were cool BEFORE novels were cool. She's sort of like a literature hipster.—Sparkitors Once in a while, we read books so brilliant that our nerdy minds are overpowered,... More  →
The Books that Came BEFORE Our Favorites: An IB Geek's List of Classics!

The Return of the King (Writer Wars is BBACCCKKKK)

By Chelsea DaggerJanuary 17, 2012
You butts know that scene in Lord of the Rings when everybody thinks Aragorn is dead, and then he busts through the doors of Helm's Deep like the muddiest badass in Middle Earth? Well THAT is what's happening on Writer Wars today; it... More  →
The Return of the King (Writer Wars is BBACCCKKKK)

Blogging Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Part 6

By Dan_BergsteinJanuary 12, 2012
Chapter Sixteen: In the Hog's Head Better Title: Bars Are Good Places for Teenagers After thinking it over, Harry finally agrees that teaching his own Defense Against the Dark Arts class is a good idea. Now it's up to Hermione to spread the word and get... More  →
Blogging Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Part 6

Don't Whine, Cry, or Be Human

By Scott GreenstoneJanuary 11, 2012
I’m sorry, peeps, but its first week of school and my World History professor is Genghis Khan. He’s loaded us all down with work so that he can pillage the Business Department unchallenged. So no Rules this week! Sorry! Go on, go away. Go back to... More  →
Don't Whine, Cry, or Be Human

Why You Should Spend Your Weekend Catching up on NaNoReadMo

By ContributorJanuary 10, 2012
We hadn’t even heard of this awesome NaNo counterpart, PensivePensieve, but now we want in! –Sparkitors Every November, SparkLife is overrun with posts about NaNoWriMo, during which participants write a 50,000 word novel in one month. However, most Sparklers haven't even heard of NaNoReadMo,... More  →
Why You Should Spend Your Weekend Catching up on NaNoReadMo

Wuthering Heights: A 10-Star Review!

By ContributorJanuary 9, 2012
Lonks checks out some classic Brit Lit—and LOVES it!—Sparkitors Book #68: Wuthering Heights Author: Emily Brontë Reason for Reading: Another required book for British Literature. Quote: “Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living. You said I killed you—haunt me... More  →
Wuthering Heights: A 10-Star Review!

Holding On: Chapter 17

By ContributorJanuary 9, 2012
When willwriteforhearts last left off, Alice, Annie, and Eric decided to look for evidence of Alice's ghost dad, and Nick had a scary run-in with his mother's dangerous new boyfriend.What will happen next?—Sparkitors Annie whips out a flashlight like a pistol,... More  →
Holding On: Chapter 17

Dear Albert: Shades of Gray

By Emily WinterJanuary 6, 2012
A half hour ago I was thinking about putting my own slimy tongue in Anna Ingram’s mouth to express my affection. Now that just seems like some bizarre contrived ritual—foreign, creepy, meaningless. Because now, right now, in this hospital waiting room, I’m wondering whether my... More  →
Dear Albert: Shades of Gray