Skip over navigation

Oh No! It's Bad Metaphors and Similes!

By Jon_SkindzierFebruary 1, 2010
"All the world's a stage," mused Shakespeare as he finished watching Jersey Shore, "and all the men and women merely players." But wait! Don’t look around for a stage director or worry that you've apparently forgotten your lines; this was merely a metaphor, a device... More  →
Oh No! It's Bad Metaphors and Similes!

Our Crush's Creator is Dead: R.I.P., J.D.

By kat_rosenfieldJanuary 28, 2010
Because we at SparkNotes are enormous nerds, it makes sense that our favorite joke in the world is about J.D. Salinger—the famous, and famously reclusive, author of The Catcher in the Rye. The joke goes like this: Knock knock. Who's there? Not J.D. Salinger! He's a recluse! See? Hilarious! ...Or... More  →
Our Crush's Creator is Dead: R.I.P., J.D.

Oh, That Dirty Dictionary

By kat_rosenfieldJanuary 28, 2010
If you're between the ages of 12 and 20, and you've ever spent time unsupervised in a library, classroom, or other area that contains reference books, then you are undoubtedly familiar with a little game that we like to call “Dirty Dictionary”—the delightful practice of... More  →
Oh, That Dirty Dictionary

Blogging Eclipse: Part 11

By Dan_BergsteinJanuary 28, 2010
Chapter Eleven: Legends Better Title: The Legend of Smart Air There are no fireworks at the Werewolf Party. No trucks launching off ramps. No cakes. No dynamite. No rockets. There are no sword fighting tournaments, or chainsaw duels. No one soared in a hot air balloon, jetpack,... More  →
Blogging Eclipse: Part 11

Sparkler-Recommended Fantasy Novels

By ContributorJanuary 26, 2010
We don't have too much on SparkLife about the fantasy genre (beyond HP, of course), and that's why we're so glad that avid reader and Sparkler dance4life51 decided to write this post! —SparkNotes editors What book to read? As you scan the fantasy shelves... More  →
Sparkler-Recommended Fantasy Novels

My Crush Is a Literary Character, Too (Except for Dan Bergstein)

By ContributorJanuary 26, 2010
...Annnnnd our series on unattainable crushes marches on—forever! Sparkler LuckyBee22's list of literary crushes are people she's slightly embarrassed to admit are her dream guys. Though they aren't hunky celebs, we have a feeling some of you miiiiiight be able to identify with... More  →
My Crush Is a Literary Character, Too (Except for Dan Bergstein)

Mr. Literary Goes to the Doctor

By Miss MarmJanuary 25, 2010
How have we never thought of talking into the stethoscope like it's a microphone?? That's genius! New Mr. Literary after the jump... Related post: Mr. Literary Gets Pulled Over... More  →

Blogging Eclipse: Part 10

By Dan_BergsteinJanuary 21, 2010
Chapter Ten: Scent Better Title: I Wish It Were Chapter 11 We're going to a Werewolf Party! Well, not really. But at the end of this chapter, Bella is headed out to La Push to a bonfire party with Jacob and the other werewolves. So that means... More  →
Blogging Eclipse: Part 10

Mr. Literary Gets Pulled Over

By Miss MarmJanuary 21, 2010
Those of you who liked the first Mr. Literary vid will be pleased to know that the second one is now out! Related post: Your Friend, the Quote Machine... More  →
Mr. Literary Gets Pulled Over

The Coolest Literary Characters

By ContributorJanuary 18, 2010
We're impressed by how much work abby0912 put into this post (and by how much she reads)! —SparkNotes editors If you have not met some of the following literary characters, then you have not experienced so much of the awesomeness available to you. Let’s... More  →
The Coolest Literary Characters