Search Menu
Menu

The Sandman Comics Series, and Why You Should Be Aware of Its Existence

By ContributorJune 14, 2012
A bit of background: on November, in a 1960s land across the great pond also known as an ocean, a writer was born. A writer who (hence the label assigned to him) wrote many things, relayed highly quotable and witty rhetoric to the masses, and presumably slayed... More  →
The Sandman Comics Series, and Why You Should Be Aware of Its Existence

The Book (Series) That Changed My Life

By ShivaniJune 14, 2012
I am not what you would call a lady. For all my knowledge of forks and dressage, I’ve never been able to capture the elusive quality of classiness. I appreciate Russian literature, but given the choice between Dostoyevsky and trashy chick lit found in supermarket... More  →
The Book (Series) That Changed My Life

Books or eBooks? We say: Yes, Please!

By Beth MishlerJune 14, 2012
Writer Jonathan Franzen made headlines awhile back when he dissed eBooks, saying they don’t have the same degree of permanence as plain ol’ books. When books are in electronic format, he said, it “always feels like we could delete that, change that, move it around...”... More  →
Books or eBooks? We say: Yes, Please!

The Mystery of the Blank Page

By ContributorJune 14, 2012
You know when you’re nearing the end of a really good book and you think you have lots left to read, only to discover a heap of blank pages instead? Yeah, we’ve all been mercilessly tricked by the Flyleaves (code name for blank pages) at... More  →
The Mystery of the Blank Page

Just in Time for Books Week: A New Intro and Awesome Excerpt from THE HOST!

By Chelsea DaggerJune 14, 2012
DUDES: I have a sneaking suspicion that Stephenie Meyer has hacked into the SparkLife mainframe (which is actually just a cardboard box painted to look like a computer and filled with Snickers wrappers, Harry Potter stickers, and my various failed attempts at hand-whittled wands) and... More  →
Just in Time for Books Week: A New Intro and Awesome Excerpt from THE HOST!

The Best-Sellers of All Time

By Brandon SpecktorJune 14, 2012
If you Google "best-selling books of all time" (as I did before writing this post) you will discover a frustrating lack of hard data or consistency, and soon find yourself (as I did) flicking spoonfuls of sausage gravy at your monitor. Why is it so hard... More  →
The Best-Sellers of All Time

The Book That Changed My Life: A Barrel of Laughs, A Vale of Tears

By Brandon SpecktorJune 14, 2012
Jules Feiffer titled his 1995 masterpiece of madcap fantasy all too perfectly. In "The Night of the Frogs"—the book's fake fifth chapter, which is slipped discretely into the narrative to trick a shady hunter who "refused to leave this book when he should have" at the... More  →
The Book That Changed My Life: A Barrel of Laughs, A Vale of Tears

The 5 Graphic Novels That Changed My Life

By Eric GarneauJune 14, 2012
Being that it's Book Week, a lot of the SparkNotes and MindHut crew are talking about books they've read that have changed their lives. Since I typically write about comics on these blogs, I thought it'd be appropriate for me to pay tribute to a... More  →
The 5 Graphic Novels That Changed My Life

Can a Child Be a Psychopath? (Tom Riddle, We're Looking at You.)

By Melissa AlbertJune 13, 2012
A New York Times article that made us want to remain childless forever recently asked a scary question: can a child be considered a psychopath? The article answered in the affirmative, but we already knew kids could be psychos—just look at... More  →
Can a Child Be a Psychopath? (Tom Riddle, We're Looking at You.)

Book Review: Clockwork Angel

By ContributorJune 13, 2012
Who's ready for another B&N.com must read? Book: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare Synopsis: Following the death of her loving aunt, Tessa Gray travels from New York to London to live with her wayward brother. Once she arrives, however, she finds herself drawn into London’s... More  →
Book Review: Clockwork Angel