Search Menu
Menu

EXCLUSIVE: Rick Yancey Tells Us About Writing the Most-Anticipated YA Novel of the Year

By kat_rosenfieldApril 8, 2013
One of the most-anticipated YA books slated for this year is THE 5TH WAVE, an alien apocalypse survival story by beloved author Rick Yancey. The book combines multiple narratives to create a sweeping portrait of a shattered world, where nothing... More  →
EXCLUSIVE: Rick Yancey Tells Us About Writing the Most-Anticipated YA Novel of the Year

SparkLife Poetry Club: Mistakes

By Ricki HurtadoApril 8, 2013
Oh no! The poetry club is a week behind! Curse you, college scholarship applications! Why can't you understand that poetry comes before school?! Well, it seems that inspiration can come from anywhere, because I've decided on this week's theme. This Week's Topic: Mistakes It can be about... More  →
SparkLife Poetry Club: Mistakes

Harry Potter Sucks. The Only Good Book Is a Book About Sparky.

By SparkyApril 1, 2013
Look—I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here. I'm going to assume you landed on this sucky web page only because you made the logical conclusion that a site called "Spark-Life" would be a comprehensive chronicle of the life and times of... More  →
Harry Potter Sucks. The Only Good Book Is a Book About Sparky.

The YA Novel We Can't Wait to Read!

By SissyMarch 27, 2013
When comedian and author Julie Klausner announced on Twitter that her second book, a young adult novel called Art Girls Are Easy, is coming out May 7th, we freaked out. Chelsea sweat through her shirt and left work early (but then again, this... More  →
The YA Novel We Can't Wait to Read!

SparkLife Poetry Club: Friendship

By Ricki HurtadoMarch 26, 2013
Hello everyone! First of all, YAY POETRY!! Second of all, yeeeaaah I didn't realize the Sparkler Post section would be clogged with awesome poems. While usually an excess of poetry is fantastic, I agree that it's overshadowing some of the regular Sparkler Posts. So I have... More  →
SparkLife Poetry Club: Friendship

The Best Spring YA Novels to Get Excited About

By Jennifer GrudzieckiMarch 22, 2013
Spring is here, and that means a whole new batch of YA fiction. And yeah, some of it is going to be awful. And some will be awful in the greatest of ways. And some of it will just be AWESOME. These are the spring releases we're most excited about (and why)! More  →
The Best Spring YA Novels to Get Excited About

7 Ridiculous Questions: A Twitter-View with Hilarious YA Author DC Pierson

By Josh SorokachMarch 21, 2013
Allow me to introduce you to the next big thing in young adult literature. DC Pierson's new novel, Crap Kingdom. It tells the story of Tom Parking, an average high school student with a "Wednesday-night kind of life" who also just happens to be... More  →
7 Ridiculous Questions: A Twitter-View with Hilarious YA Author DC Pierson

You Guys, the NYC Teen Author Festival starts TODAY!

By Kathryn_WilliamsMarch 18, 2013
Don't get us wrong. We're not saying you should sell your textbooks online, empty your Dalek piggy bank, tell your parents you'll be at Steve's all weekend, and hitchhike to NYC. What is this, 1963?! That would be totally irresponsible. All... More  →
You Guys, the NYC Teen Author Festival starts TODAY!

Dan's 22 Storytelling Tips

By Dan_BergsteinMarch 13, 2013
Pixar’s storyboard artist Emma Coats wrote 22 awesome storytelling tips for writers, and since Tweeting the list, it’s gone viral. The advice is great, with wonderful nuggets such as: "Tip #19: Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of... More  →
Dan's 22 Storytelling Tips

Help Us Rename Sci-Fi

By EmmaMarch 12, 2013
There are a bunch of great sci-fi books for teens coming out this fall (like The 5th Wave, which is about a girl named Cassie who's trying to survive an alien invasion!). But is "science fiction" the best way to describe these books? That term... More  →
Help Us Rename Sci-Fi