Menu

Is There Too Much Swearing in Teen Fiction?

By Kathryn_WilliamsMay 23, 2012
Stop the presses!!!! Literally, stop the presses. A professor at Brigham Young University recently made a startling discovery about YA books: they contain an average of 38 instances of profanity, or 7 cu$$ words per hour spent reading. By golly, that's... More  →
Is There Too Much Swearing in Teen Fiction?

Writer Wars, Part Bajillion (I'm Really Struggling with Titles Lately, Butts)

By Chelsea DaggerMay 22, 2012
Here's a riddle for you fine-minded scholars to solve: what's more entertaining than a marshmallow fight between two baby polar bears, more brilliant than Albus Dumbledore's diary, and more hilarious than me accidentally telling Chris Hemsworth that I often barf all over myself? Why,... More  →
Writer Wars, Part Bajillion (I'm Really Struggling with Titles Lately, Butts)

BOOK REVIEW: Sabriel by Garth Nix

By Paul KirschMay 22, 2012
Fantasy doesn't need dragons in order to be fantasy, but it does need a little magic. Contrary to popular belief, the presence of magic does not necessarily serve to make things easier for the protagonist. Magic is a built-in set of complications that contradict conventional... More  →
BOOK REVIEW: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Minorities in YA Books: Where Are They?

By Jennifer GrudzieckiMay 22, 2012
Last week, blogger and YA writer Kate Hart released a study about teen book covers conducted in 2011... and what she found was a little alarming. In short, minorities in the world of YA fiction are basically non-existent—at least if the book covers are anything... More  →
Minorities in YA Books: Where Are They?

4 Books to Help You Through a Zombie Uprising

By Swapna KrishnaMay 21, 2012
I'm sure you wonder (as we all do from time to time) what you'd do if the world fell apart and there was a zombie attack. Would you be one of the first victims? Would you fight back, but eventually succumb to the brain-eating menace?... More  →
4 Books to Help You Through a Zombie Uprising

5 Books That Made Us Afraid of Robots

By Swapna KrishnaMay 18, 2012
Robots. According to shows like Star Trek: The Next Generation, they're friendly machines who insist on being called androids, but we know better. We know that robots are evil killing machines that are just waiting to take over the world. One minute, they're our friends,... More  →
5 Books That Made Us Afraid of Robots

Holding On: Chapter 20

By ContributorMay 17, 2012
Before you read Chapter 20, catch up on Chapter 19 of willwriteforhearts' awesome story right here! What am I supposed to do? Barge in and nicely ask Thomas, her dad, to leave Sam alone? Right. The pain in my side grows sharper when I start to... More  →
Holding On: Chapter 20

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

By Jennifer GrudzieckiMay 17, 2012
We didn't know what we were missing when JustToBeQuiet sent us the link to this YouTube series, but ever since WE HAVE BEEN HOOKED. This is a modern take on Pride and Prejudice, told via YouTube "diary" videos from Lizzie's perspective. They're funny and... More  →
The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

BOOK REVIEW: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

By Swapna KrishnaMay 16, 2012
It’s the distant future, and the world we know and love? It’s gone. What’s left of American civilization is centered in the city of Chicago and the people in it are divided into five factions. Each of these groups focuses on a human virtue, a... More  →
BOOK REVIEW: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Blogging Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Part 11

By Dan_BergsteinMay 15, 2012
Chapter Thirty-One: O.W.L.s Better Title: Wizard Job Market Is Non-Existent I bet the kids at Hogwarts all enjoy reading a series of books about a special orphaned child who excelled at mathematics and science, went to a school of business, and one day battled an evil lawyer... More  →
Blogging Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Part 11