Search Menu
Menu

Sparklers Are the Smartest People on the Interwebs (Compliment Courtesy of Writer Wars)

By Chelsea DaggerSeptember 12, 2012
Only a Sparkler could take the prompts I gave you last week—which required you to include items like a missing tooth, an old enemy, and a "hug that goes too far"—and come up with such GENIUS tales of redemption, horror, betrayal, and twinlyness... More  →
Sparklers Are the Smartest People on the Interwebs (Compliment Courtesy of Writer Wars)

Finally, Vampires Are SCARY Again in Will Hill's The Rising

By Crystal HudsonSeptember 12, 2012
If you're looking for a pretty, shiny vamp who'll take you to the prom, you won't find one in Will Hill's The Rising. The second book in the "Department 19" series takes vampires back to their fang-baring, throat-tearing, blood-sucking roots. All the way back, as... More  →
Finally, Vampires Are SCARY Again in Will Hill's The Rising

How to Defeat the Writer's Block Monster

By ContributorSeptember 11, 2012
It’s the woe of every author. You've just ended a perfect sentence, your fingers are ready for more typing, your hand is ready for more writing, and your mind is…blank. Yep. You have officially met the Writer’s Block. Luckily, there are ways to defeat this... More  →
How to Defeat the Writer's Block Monster

18-Year-Old Gets Six Figure Publication Deal

By Jennifer GrudzieckiSeptember 11, 2012
Abigail Gibbs, an 18-year-old British college student, is getting her novel published. The Dark Heroine: Dinner With a Vampire is Gibbs' first novel, which she started at age 15 and is now being published by HarperCollins. She began writing the story on More  →
18-Year-Old Gets Six Figure Publication Deal

Auntie SparkNotes: Do Real Artists Know From Birth What They Want To Be?

By kat_rosenfieldSeptember 7, 2012
Dear Auntie, Literature has been a life-long passion of mine. And although I've always been an avid reader, I was often a reluctant writer. Why, you ask? Well, the idea of exposing myself emotionally terrified me. I tried writing poetry to keep private, but then I... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes: Do Real Artists Know From Birth What They Want To Be?

Blogging B&N Teen Must-Reads: The Alchemy of Forever

By ContributorSeptember 7, 2012
Book: The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams Synopsis: In 14th century England, Cyrus Shaw and his father find a way to use alchemy to make people immortal. They do this by turning them into “incarnates”souls... More  →
Blogging B&N Teen Must-Reads: The Alchemy of Forever

One Sparkler Asks "Why Would People Read Fantasy Books?" What's Your Take?

By Jeremy BlachmanSeptember 7, 2012
Last week, commenter AnaBananaSparkler left a comment on our Amanda Hocking book review: Why would people read fantasy books? They seem like they are just a waste of time. Quickly, others Masterminds jumped in to argue the other side: Really? I love fantasy. It's this damned... More  →
One Sparkler Asks "Why Would People Read Fantasy Books?" What's Your Take?

Finally, a Heroine We Can Relate to In The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

By Swapna KrishnaSeptember 6, 2012
Elisa is not your typical princess. She’s not particularly pretty, and she likes pastries far more than is fitting for someone of her rank. One might even dare to call her fat. Her appearance has never really bothered her though, not until she discovers she’s... More  →
Finally, a Heroine We Can Relate to In The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

End of Summer YA Round-up

By Swapna KrishnaSeptember 5, 2012
Now that summer is coming to a close and there are things on our minds other than bright sunny days, pools, and barbecues, it's time to revisit the world of YA fiction that this last summer brought us. The good, the bad, and the great-for-a-mindless-read: it's... More  →
End of Summer YA Round-up

9 Fictional High Schools You Wouldn't Want to Attend

By Peter RuggSeptember 4, 2012
William McKinley High from Glee: Sure, it’s all jazz hands and delightfully romantic misunderstandings if you’re a part of New Directions glee club, but woe to any student who lacks the vocal skillz to get through the 8th round of auditions on American Idol. These sad outcasts... More  →
9 Fictional High Schools You Wouldn't Want to Attend