Search Menu
Menu

Read Five Super Short Stories

By EmmaJuly 10, 2012
It's fiction contest time on SparkLife. The challenge? Write a short story that's exactly 100 words—no more, no fewer. The entries are pouring in, and today we've got the first four five finalists for your enjoyment! More  →
Read Five Super Short Stories

One Sentence to Rule Them ALL

By Chelsea DaggerJuly 10, 2012
You guys are like the Saurons of the interwebs—not in that you're plotting to cover all the world in an endless darkness, but in that you've managed to craft something irresistibly  powerful and impervious to flame or sword: A SENTENCE. That LOTR analogy didn't... More  →
One Sentence to Rule Them ALL

Holding On: Chapter 23

By ContributorJuly 10, 2012
Catch up on Chapter 22 right here! I open my eyes and try to sit up—and excruciating pain rockets up my side. “Ow!” I’m on a stretcher? I breathe hard, trying to ease the pain, which is quickly turning from bad cramp pain to something like knives.... More  →
Holding On: Chapter 23

Here Is Your New Hunger Games Cast Member

By EmmaJuly 9, 2012
Big news, Hunger Gamers: bearded thespian Philip Seymour Hoffman will play Plutarch Heavensbee in the next installment of the trilogy! He seems like the perfect guy to portray a crafty Head Gamemaker. How do we know? Emily told us. That's right, your very own... More  →
Here Is Your New Hunger Games Cast Member

Announcing the Short Fiction Contest

By EmmaJuly 9, 2012
And by "short," we mean "SHORT short." Here's how this will work: Stories must be exactly 100 words—no more, no fewer. (Think the word limit will impede your genius? Remember Ernest Hemingway's six-word masterpiece: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn.") We'll accept submissions from More  →
Announcing the Short Fiction Contest

Dear Albert: Thrift Store

By Emily WinterJuly 7, 2012
The man behind the counter has a lot of tattoos. And now he is picking his nose. Me and Anna are standing behind a rack of big saggy dresses that look like they’re from the ‘60s—Anna calls them “muumuus”—laughing silently at this beast of a guy. He looks... More  →
Dear Albert: Thrift Store

How to Cope When Your Mom Brings Up 50 Shades of Grey

By Rachel KorowitzJuly 5, 2012
Thanks to 50 Shades of Grey, the ladypr0n trilogy that started out as Twilight fanfic, you've now got a 87.6% chance of needing brain bleach after talking with your mom. (Relatedly, you've got a 93% chance of hearing the phrases "sexual... More  →
How to Cope When Your Mom Brings Up 50 Shades of Grey

Auntie SparkNotes Wrote a Book! And It's Out Today!

By EmmaJuly 5, 2012
Auntie SparkNotes, aka Kat Rosenfield, wrote a novel! We've read it, and IT RULES. (But don't take our word for it—check out Publisher's Weekly rave.) To celebrate this momentous occasion, we interviewed Auntie, via g-chat, about her book, her agent, and... More  →
Auntie SparkNotes Wrote a Book! And It's Out Today!

LOOK: This is The Cover of J.K. Rowling's Next Book

By Brandon SpecktorJuly 5, 2012
Yep, here it is! All red and yellow and minimalistic. Let's spend a minute together, taking it in. ... Okay, enough of that. Let's gab. Previous press releases and interviews have already revealed a few things about JKR's upcoming novel, The Casual... More  →
LOOK: This is The Cover of J.K. Rowling's Next Book

For the Love of Short Stories

By ContributorJuly 3, 2012
Most of us read novelsafter all, chapter books were the first sign of maturity when you were seven. What?! You can read big books already? You’re so smart! And novels are fun. You spend night after... More  →
For the Love of Short Stories