Skip over navigation

Listen Up: This is Your Literary Pep Talk

By ContributorSeptember 12, 2011
We can't tell for sure, but we THINK Rafikiwock may have insulted us in his first paragraph. Buttever. We can take the heat.—Sparkitors Hey you! Yeah, you! The zoned-out teenager staring glossy-eyed at your computer monitor!... More  →
Listen Up: This is Your Literary Pep Talk

Blogging Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Part 3

By Dan_BergsteinSeptember 9, 2011
Chapter Seven: Bagman and Crouch Better Title: Tents The Weasleys, Hermione, and Harry arrive at the Wizard World Cup stadium and proceed to their reserved camping area, where they set up the two tents. Harry is unimpressed at first, and wonders how they will all fit inside... More  →
Blogging Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Part 3

Ask a Teacher: Why Is Hidden Meaning Important?

By Mr. JonesSeptember 8, 2011
Q: Why do English teachers insist on finding the authors "hidden meaning" behind every tree and stone mentioned in a story? A: There are three main reasons. The first is because we know you hate it. By nature, we’re sadists and we like to make students... More  →
Ask a Teacher: Why Is Hidden Meaning Important?

Anna and the French Kiss: The Title is Terrible, But the Book is Great!

By ContributorSeptember 7, 2011
Lonks gives a rave review to a book that sounds like a perfect back-to-school read (as long as you're going back to school at an exclusive French academy stocked with hot, accented men.)—Sparkitors Book #55: Anna and the French Kiss Author: Stephanie Perkins Reason... More  →
Anna and the French Kiss: The Title is Terrible, But the Book is Great!

You Guys Are the Future Leaders of America(n Dairy Farming)

By Chelsea DaggerSeptember 6, 2011
Brace yourselves: you're all about to get a laudatory smack right on your overachieving foreheads (it's like a high-five, but more painful). Why? Because you butts are genetically incapable of doing the bare minimum (and that makes the rest of us look bad). Case in... More  →
You Guys Are the Future Leaders of America(n Dairy Farming)

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

By ContributorSeptember 6, 2011
Lonks hits book 54 with a true classic—which, we're embarrassed to admit, we've never actually read. Does watching the movie 84 times win us any points?—Sparkitors Book #54: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Author: L. Frank Baum Reason for Reading: I have a... More  →
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

I Wish I'd Read This Book in High School

By Miss MarmSeptember 2, 2011
The Naked Roommate author Harlan Cohen has a new book coming out in April (I get to read an advanced copy now because I'm extremely fancy). It's called Naked Dating: Five Steps to Finding the Love of Your Life (While Fully... More  →
I Wish I'd Read This Book in High School

Blogging Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Part 2

By Dan_BergsteinSeptember 2, 2011
Chapter Four: Back to the Burrow Better Title: Don't Mess With the Weasleys I want to be a Weasley. I want to have cool brothers and an adequate sister. I want a dad who is goofy and kind and a mom who is both stern and sweet.... More  →
Blogging Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Part 2

The Best Fictional Best Friends

By ContributorSeptember 2, 2011
After reading dac213's post, we're dying for a new BFF. Think Sam Gagee is open for the position? —Sparkitors There have been countless posts about fictional crushes, but what about fictional BFFs? You know, the kind of friends who will literally help you defeat... More  →
The Best Fictional Best Friends

Achieving the Captain America Kiss

By ContributorSeptember 1, 2011
Scott-Free's not concentrating on the kiss—he's thinking about Captain America. —Sparkitors I saw Captain America this week! It was the best. I even liked Red Skull, especially when he brought in Nietzsche’s philosophy of the Ubermensch—a very astute tie-in made by a screenwriter I... More  →
Achieving the Captain America Kiss