Skip over navigation

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

By Jennifer GrudzieckiMay 17, 2012
We didn't know what we were missing when JustToBeQuiet sent us the link to this YouTube series, but ever since WE HAVE BEEN HOOKED. This is a modern take on Pride and Prejudice, told via YouTube "diary" videos from Lizzie's perspective. They're funny and... More  →
The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

BOOK REVIEW: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

By Swapna KrishnaMay 16, 2012
It’s the distant future, and the world we know and love? It’s gone. What’s left of American civilization is centered in the city of Chicago and the people in it are divided into five factions. Each of these groups focuses on a human virtue, a... More  →
BOOK REVIEW: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Blogging Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Part 11

By Dan_BergsteinMay 15, 2012
Chapter Thirty-One: O.W.L.s Better Title: Wizard Job Market Is Non-Existent I bet the kids at Hogwarts all enjoy reading a series of books about a special orphaned child who excelled at mathematics and science, went to a school of business, and one day battled an evil lawyer... More  →
Blogging Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Part 11

Dear Albert: Two Love

By Emily WinterMay 12, 2012
"It must be hard," says Gracie, pulling at the curls on her afro wig. "What?" I ask. We're sitting on the back porch. Her leg touches mine. "Thinking things that you can't say out loud," she says. "Because of your... you know." "Stutter," I say, and finish my cup... More  →
Dear Albert: Two Love

Writer Wars! (Sorry, That's the Most Creative Title I Could Come Up With This Week.)

By Chelsea DaggerMay 9, 2012
REALLY, BUTTS?! I ask you to write a short story about attempting the impossible, and NO ONE WRITES ABOUT SKIING THROUGH A REVOLVING DOOR?! Color me disappointed (mostly because I purchased a set of skies AND a freestanding revolving door in anticipation of... More  →
Writer Wars! (Sorry, That's the Most Creative Title I Could Come Up With This Week.)

Holding On: Chapter 19

By ContributorMay 9, 2012
Click here to catch up on Chapter 18 of willwriteforhearts' gripping story! Before his car crash with Dad, Nick was the athlete of the family. He has this big-guy build that so characterizes your average jock in high school, and I guess... More  →
Holding On: Chapter 19

We'll Miss You, Maurice Sendak

By Josh PeriloMay 8, 2012
I was ten years old when my childhood dream came true. Already a three year veteran of the Omaha, Nebraska community theatre scene, I had landed the role of Max in the Emmy Gifford Children’s Theater world premiere musical version of Where the Wild Things Are.... More  →
We'll Miss You, Maurice Sendak

5 Things We Need to Know About The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

By Scott GreenstoneMay 8, 2012
The Hobbit trailer has been out for some time, but it's still managing to puzzle us. Have a look. Here are some questions we have: 1. What's up with Galadriel and Gandalf? Why does she touch his hair like that? They wouldn't try and make anything of... More  →
5 Things We Need to Know About The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

7 Nerdy Power Couples Who Give Us Hope

By Brandon SpecktorMay 7, 2012
We could argue that Adam and Eve were the first great dorky power couple. Chew on this image, if you will: Adam, lingering around all day with the Boss (not Bruce Springsteen [well, actually, maybe Bruce Springsteen]), talking his ear off with geeky questions about geogra More  →
7 Nerdy Power Couples Who Give Us Hope

Empty: A Sparkler Book Review!

By ContributorMay 4, 2012
The book: Empty by Suzanne Weyn The plot: The year is 2022—ten years from now. Oil reserves worldwide are growing more scarce by the minute. Gas and items that require oil to be produced are becoming more and more expensive. Travelling by plane is... More  →
Empty: A Sparkler Book Review!