Menu

Literary Dystopias, Ranked by How Likely You'd Be to Survive Them

Lionsgate

Credit:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Now this is what I call a dystopia—kids are murdering each other for sport, everyone’s hungry, Woody Harrelson is there. Most dystopias are survivable if you keep your head down and make no waves, but The Hunger Games? You could be plucked from obscurity at a moment’s notice and pitted against twenty-three other children who have no conscionable qualms about throwing a spear straight at your fragile skull. 

I won't say you'd be unlikely to survive; I will just go ahead and say you wouldn't, full stop. Survive, that is. You would be dead within seconds. Look, I'm not trying to be cynical. But I'm going to assume you and I have similar skill sets, and they don’t involve fighting to the death, hunting with a bow and arrow, or eating pig entrails and tree bark. Neither of us would make it out of Panem, and we're just going to have to make our peace with that.

Would you survive a literary dystopia?

Topics: Books
Tags: books we love, 1984, the hunger games, classic literature, the giver, fahrenheit 451, divergent, brave new world, the handmaid's tale, may the odds be ever in your favor (or not), literary dystopias

Write your own comment!