Menu

9 of the Most Satisfying Deaths in Fiction, Ranked

Unsplash/Yoal Desurmont

Credit:

#6: General Zaroff from "The Most Dangerous Game"

“The Most Dangerous Game” is a short story that dares to ask the question “What do you get if you combine impeccable manners, too much money, and an insatiable urge to kill?” The answer, of course, is Russian aristocrat General Zaroff. 

Zaroff, having grown weary of poaching animals, decides to update his LinkedIn profile to include “professional people hunter.” You’ve got to respect a guy who likes a challenge. Anyway, he bites off a little more than he can chew with our protagonist Sanger Rainsford, and their increasingly treacherous game of cat and mouse culminates in a final showdown. “Splendid!” says Zaroff, which is exactly what I say when I’m woken in my very own bedroom by people I had previously been attempting to hunt for sport. “One of us is to furnish a repast for the hounds. The other will sleep in this very excellent bed. On guard, Rainsford.” (I say all of that also.)

We don’t get to see the fight play out, but we’re left with Rainsford telling us he’d never slept in a better bed.

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, books we love, hamlet, classic literature, huck finn, tess of the d'urbervilles, game of thrones, dracula, characters we hate, finally, hp, the most dangerous game, the adventures of huckleberry finn

Write your own comment!