Menu

What You Thought These Famous Literary Quotes Meant VS. What They Actually Mean

Babber Films

Credit:

"The Road Less Traveled" by Robert Frost

Quote: "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

What you thought: This is a poem about individuality, making unusual choices, and having the courage to be different. That's why when everybody else went to Miami for spring break, I went to Pensacola. Because I forge my own path.

But actually: Frost is gently making fun of people who think that a single small decision will make a huge difference down the line. That's why he tells the last line "with a sigh:" the truth is that the choice he made in the woods didn't actually affect much. He even says in the poem that both paths are worn "about the same." In fact, Frost wrote in a letter once that, when writing the poem, he was thinking about a indecisive friend "who, whichever road he went, would be sorry he didn't go the other. He was hard on himself that way." Turns out both paths are...pretty much fine.

Topics: Books
Tags: romeo and juliet, shakespeare, alice in wonderland, hamlet, classic lit, classic literature, required reading, classic novels, lewis carroll, robert frost, richard iii, literary quotes, famous quotes, john keats, shakespeare's plays, the road less traveled, basically you've been wrong this whole time

Write your own comment!