Menu

Classic Novels, Ranked in Order of How Easy They Are to Study

Focus Features/Warner Bros

Credit:

Some books are easy to read, and others? Well, others are difficult. In the time it took me to struggle through The Sound and the Fury once, I could have read Of Mice and Men approximately a gajillion times.

(It took me a really long time to read The Sound and the Fury. Every time William Faulkner put something in italics, I had to take a break and go lie down in a quiet room.)

So books are hard, except for the ones that are easy. If you’re a student, a teacher, or just someone who reads things, odds are you’re going to encounter the full gamut of books ranging from “I could read this in my sleep” to “I’m still not entirely sure what I just read.” Last time, we ranked Shakespeare plays from easiest to most difficult. Today, we’ll be doing classics in general.

Disclaimer: This list contains some classic novels, but certainly not all of them. I thought about adding all of them, but then I decided against it. I hope you can forgive me.

Topics: Books
Tags: animal farm, books we love, the scarlet letter, lord of the flies, the great gatsby, pride and prejudice, the catcher in the rye, jane eyre, great expectations, to kill a mockingbird, jane austen, classic literature, infinite jest, moby dick, classics, dracula, f. scott fitzgerald, classic novels, catch 22, virginia woolf, heart of darkness, to the lighthouse, the canterbury tales, one hundred years of solitude, absalom absalom, atlas shrugged, finnegans wake, on a scale from 1 to "what is going on"

Write your own comment!