Menu

9 of the Most Disturbing Short Stories You'll Ever Have to Read for School

Unsplash/Ben Konfrst

Credit:

"The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" by Ursula K. Le Guin

For those who have no clue what “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas” is about, please enjoy these last few seconds before I tell you.

Simply put, Omelas is a beautiful, utopian city—peaceful, sunny, idyllic. Everyone’s happy. “An old women, small, fat, and laughing, is passing out flowers from a basket, and tall young men wear her flowers in their shining hair. A child of nine or ten sits at the edge of the crowd, alone, playing on a wooden flute.” You get the idea.

However, in the midst of all this merriment, there is a filthy, neglected child locked in a dank, dark cellar. The child must live like this so that the rest of Omelas may experience splendor and prosperity. That’s just the way it has to be. Worse still? The citizens know. “Some of them understand why, and some do not, but they all understand that their happiness, the beauty of their city…even the abundance of their harvest and the kindly weathers of their skies, depend wholly on this child's abominable misery.”

Most of the citizens learn to bury their guilt, but some of them don’t. They go look at the child in the cellar, and they just never go home. They “leave Omelas, they walk ahead into the darkness, and they do not come back.”

I don’t know about you, but this story always leaves me feeling very eerie. Unsettled, even. Kind of dizzy. Slightly hungry.

Topics: Books
Tags: high school, books we love, classic literature, short stories, short stories we love, warning: very spooky

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.