Search Menu
Menu

7 Beloved Fictional Characters Who Are Secretly Terrible People

Warner Bros./Focus Features

Credit:

There are some fictional characters who are just universally hated. Umbridge. Bob Ewell. Cholly Breedlove. There are also fictional characters who are universally adored, like Hagrid, Samwise Gamgee, and Atticus Finch if you, like me, prefer to forget that Go Set a Watchman ever happened.

And then there are fictional characters who are widely beloved but secretly kind of awful if you think about it for too long. Look, I’m not trying to ruin these characters for you, I swear. I’m just saying nothing’s black and white; good people do bad things. Take me, for example. I donate my clothes and recycle bottles, but I am also a monster who will eat the last cookie with no hesitation. So with that in mind, let’s talk about why all our favorite characters are actually dirtbags.

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, romeo and juliet, books we love, the great gatsby, jane eyre, the odyssey, classic literature, jk rowling, les miserables, characters we love, tom sawyer, hp, the adventures of tom sawyer, your fave is secretly terrible

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.