Menu

7 Movie Adaptations Made by People Who Apparently Didn't Read the Book

Universal Pictures

Credit:

Just about every version of 'Frankenstein'

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t read everything I’m supposed to. Sometimes people send me long articles about things I don’t care enough about, like whitewater rafting or why popcorn is giving us cancer, and I skim the articles so I can pretend I have read them if case someone asks.

But if I were making a Frankenstein movie, I feel like I would probably set aside some time to actually read Frankenstein. As far as I can tell, hardly anyone has done this. There are many different film versions of Frankenstein, and at least 90% of them make Frankenstein’s monster out to be this dumb, hideous beast who can barely string a sentence together. Mary Shelley’s original monster, however, is brilliant and well-spoken (he even knows French and German). Furthermore, “Dr.” Victor Frankenstein isn’t actually a doctor, merely a student, and the theme of the novel is not “playing god is a bad thing to do” so much as it is “you have to take responsibility for your actions, lest you make a dude out of body parts who winds up killing your wife.”

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, books we love, the shining, frankenstein, a series of unfortunate events, the book thief, jk rowling, harry potter and the deathly hallows, film adaptations, a clockwork orange, characters we love, blade runner, hp, some of them didn't even read the sparknotes

Write your own comment!