Search Menu
Menu

7 Movie Adaptations Made by People Who Apparently Didn't Read the Book

Universal Pictures

Credit:

Just about every version of 'Frankenstein'

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t read everything I’m supposed to. Sometimes people send me long articles about things I don’t care enough about, like whitewater rafting or why popcorn is giving us cancer, and I skim the articles so I can pretend I have read them if case someone asks.

But if I were making a Frankenstein movie, I feel like I would probably set aside some time to actually read Frankenstein. As far as I can tell, hardly anyone has done this. There are many different film versions of Frankenstein, and at least 90% of them make Frankenstein’s monster out to be this dumb, hideous beast who can barely string a sentence together. Mary Shelley’s original monster, however, is brilliant and well-spoken (he even knows French and German). Furthermore, “Dr.” Victor Frankenstein isn’t actually a doctor, merely a student, and the theme of the novel is not “playing god is a bad thing to do” so much as it is “you have to take responsibility for your actions, lest you make a dude out of body parts who winds up killing your wife.”

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, books we love, the shining, frankenstein, a series of unfortunate events, the book thief, jk rowling, harry potter and the deathly hallows, film adaptations, a clockwork orange, characters we love, blade runner, hp, some of them didn't even read the sparknotes

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.