Menu

5 of the Most Easily Preventable Deaths in Literature

Warner Bros.

Credit:

There’s a lot of DYING going on in literature nowadays. It seems like every time I open a book, some character I love more than life itself is throwing their stupid, mortal body in harm’s way, which invariably results in me weeping for no less than six hours. Sometimes these deaths are inevitable. Other times, they feel super preventable, like if the characters had done just ONE TINY LITTLE THING DIFFERENTLY—and not even a very difficult thing—the death might never have happened.

Since I love being upset about all things fictional, here are some heartbreaking deaths that didn’t have to happen. If the characters could go back in time and change the events leading up to the incident, it would be the easiest fix in the world.

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, romeo and juliet, shakespeare, hamlet, jk rowling, characters we love, game of thrones, a song of ice and fire, william shakespeare, sirius black, greek mythology, fantine, a separate peace, gather round and let's lament what could have been, oberyn martell

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.