Search Menu
Menu

Every Jane Austen Novel, Ranked from Worst to Best

ITV

Credit:

#2. The quirky and slightly satirical… Northanger Abbey!

This is a fun, light-hearted bildungsroman that makes fun of all the Gothic books that were prominent in its time. It may not be Austen’s most brilliant or insightful work, but it sure is a memorable ride.

Here’s what happens: Catherine goes to Bath. She meets the well-spoken (also HOT) Henry Tilney, makes a questionable friend, then finds herself pursued by the brother of said questionable friend. She goes to Henry’s house (really more of an abbey) and lets her imagination run wild, which results in 1) romance, and 2) A MURDER ACCUSATION.

I read this book a long, long time ago. I was 17 like Catherine, and I was obsessed. How obsessed was I? Well, let’s ask the 3-Question Character Test. (I’m going to make this a thing if it kills me.)

Do I have fond memories of this one? Definitely.

Did the characters have a good dynamic? I think so.

Did I ship the OTP? Absolutely!!

Two exclamation points. Now we’re getting serious.

Topics: Books
Tags: books we love, pride and prejudice, persuasion, jane austen, classic literature, emma, mansfield park, sense and sensibility, northanger abbey, jane austen ranked, jane austen books ranked

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Shahzoda

Shahzoda is a storyteller, aspiring filmmaker, and an animal lover. She has eight cool cats, one hungry turtle, and a penchant for reading a bazillion books at the same time. You can find her on Twitter or drop by her sometimes useful blog for writers.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.