Search Menu
Menu

Every Jane Austen Novel, Ranked from Worst to Best

ITV

Credit:

#3. The beautiful and melancholy… Persuasion!

I have fond memories of this book (check), the characters had a good dynamic (check), but the shipping? The shipping, for me, was lacking. (Gasp!)

I know, I know. Anne and Frederick Wentworth are made for each other, and how dare I not ship the two Austen characters who are closest to having an actual ship (what with Captain Wentworth bring a Navy man and all).

But the romance just didn’t compel me as much as I wanted it to. Here’s a quick rundown: Anne and Frederick Wentworth used to be young and in love… that is, until she was persuaded to reject him because he was poor whereas she was the daughter of a baron. Years later, the situations are reversed: Anne’s family is now poor, and Wentworth is a rich, famous Navy captain. There’s agony, there’s longing, there’s anger, and there’s hope. A lot of people are named Charles. (Okay, so it’s only two, but it felt like more.)

Basically, I wanted to like this one more than I did, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a fine book.

Topics: Books
Tags: books we love, pride and prejudice, persuasion, jane austen, classic literature, emma, mansfield park, sense and sensibility, northanger abbey, jane austen ranked, jane austen books ranked

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Shahzoda

Shahzoda is a storyteller, aspiring filmmaker, and an animal lover. She has eight cool cats, one hungry turtle, and a penchant for reading a bazillion books at the same time. You can find her on Twitter or drop by her sometimes useful blog for writers.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.