Search Menu
Menu

Every Jane Austen Novel, Ranked from Worst to Best

BBC One

Credit:

#4. The clever and carefully crafted… Emma!

This one took a little while to grab hold of me, but when it did, it was a breath of fresh air. Emma’s character is difficult. She isn’t a damsel in distress, nor a Cinderella awaiting her prince. She’s real, but she’s flawed, and has a very high opinion of herself. She’s like a fine horse that fancies itself a unicorn—one that’s really good at matchmaking.

Quick summary: there’s this pretty rich girl (Emma) who wants to play matchmaker. She meddles with Harriet’s love life—and fails. She flirts with Frank, a guy she’s not actually interested in—and fails. She says she herself never wants to marry—and fails at that, too. Are you sensing a pattern here?

Just kidding. This story isn’t really about failure. Instead, it’s a sweet tale about growing up and learning from past mistakes with a happy ending thrown in just for good measure. As for the 3-Question Character Test, which is not a thing yet but it will be, here are my thoughts:

Do I have fond memories of the characters? Kind of.

Did the characters have a good dynamic? Yes.

Did I ship the OTP? Yes and no.

Topics: Books
Tags: books we love, pride and prejudice, persuasion, jane austen, classic literature, emma, mansfield park, sense and sensibility, northanger abbey, jane austen ranked, jane austen books ranked

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Shahzoda

Shahzoda is a storyteller, aspiring filmmaker, and an animal lover. She has eight cool cats, one hungry turtle, and a penchant for reading a bazillion books at the same time. You can find her on Twitter or drop by her sometimes useful blog for writers.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.