Menu

7 Fictional Characters Whose Names Give Away the Story

Warner Bros.

Credit:

Remus Lupin from 'Harry Potter'

Let’s just get this one out of the way. Remus means wolf. Lupin means wolf. His middle name is John, which probably also somehow means wolf. The real plot twist here would’ve been if he were revealed to actually be some other creature, like a sea serpent or a robot.

More specifically, Lupin comes from "lupus," the Latin word for wolf, and Remus refers to the mythological character of lore who was raised by wolves alongside his twin brother, Romulus. It’s also worth noting here that, of the two of them, Remus was the one who was killed.

While I’ve got you here, I also want to point out that Harry was being stalked by a big black dog at a time when a man whose name basically means "Black Dog Star" (Sirius Black) had just escaped wizard prison. He really should’ve worked that one out.

Last one: the Weasley twins. Historically, King George III only became king because of the death of Frederick, Prince of Wales. COINCIDENCE? Probably. But I still want to go back in time and tell my poor, emotionally unprepared self, "CONNECT THE DOTS. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE BLINDSIDED. THE ANSWER WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF US THE WHOLE TIME."

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, shakespeare, animal farm, books we love, pride and prejudice, the hunger games, othello, movies we love, sirius black, remus lupin, what's in a name? spoilers

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.